Lophophora variety

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
NeurOptic

Lophophora variety

Post by NeurOptic »

Below are some pictures of what I believe is some kind of Lophophora. I’m curious if the elongated/tubular growth is some type of phenotype distinct to a variety or the result of something like over-fertilizing and/or not enough light. I would appreciate any help with ID and any commentary about this kind of growth. I have seen a handful of these but have not seen any with a flower present as of yet.
Attachments
IMG_1457.jpeg
IMG_1457.jpeg (125.4 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
IMG_1458.jpeg
IMG_1458.jpeg (119.63 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
IMG_1456.jpeg
IMG_1456.jpeg (201.01 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
DaveW

Re: Lophophora variety

Post by DaveW »

They look very etiolated. Maybe Echinopsis subdenudata seedlings?

Not sure they are the green bodied Lophophora koehresii (which name takes precedence over Lophophora viridescens which was published a year later in ignorance of the previous publication) viridescens = green.

http://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Fa ... iridescens

As usual flowers would be welcome. Do they have fibrous roots like Echinopsis or tuberous roots like a Lophophora?
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

DaveW wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:00 pm They look very etiolated. Maybe Echinopsis subdenudata seedlings?

Not sure they are the green bodied Lophophora koehresii (which name takes precedence over Lophophora viridescens which was published a year later in ignorance of the previous publication) viridescens = green.

http://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Fa ... iridescens

As usual flowers would be welcome. Do they have fibrous roots like Echinopsis or tuberous roots like a Lophophora?
I've grown every species described from seed. Yes, tuberous roots are the standard for this genus. One characteristic of properly grown plants are various shades of grey with a non-glossy skin. Sometimes a species ID can be difficult, like white flowering forms of L. fricii compared to L. williamsii which overlap ranges in the Viesca region.
NeurOptic

Post by NeurOptic »

Thanks you guys! Roots appear to be fibrous, so probably not Lophophora after all. It does looks similar to the Echinopsis mentioned above but the arrangement of the tufts seems so asymmetric, but maybe that’s part of the seedling development.
Attachments
IMG_1462.jpeg
IMG_1462.jpeg (293.48 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

NeurOptic wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:36 am Thanks you guys! Roots appear to be fibrous, so probably not Lophophora after all. It does looks similar to the Echinopsis mentioned above but the arrangement of the tufts seems so asymmetric, but maybe that’s part of the seedling development.
Don't be too hasty: This group of stems appear to be rooted cuttings. It takes some time for the tuberous roots to form on new cuttings. OTOH seedlings start life with a tiny tuberous root.
7george

Post by 7george »

Etiolated Lophophora I think. Over-fertilizing also possible. Young Echinopsis always have some spines.

Lophophora diffusa can also look green. Rooted cuttings in that peat and other conditions did the rest.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8