(Lophophora williamsii) Shrinking and perhaps suburn care

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Rogusi

(Lophophora williamsii) Shrinking and perhaps suburn care

Post by Rogusi »

Hello everyone,

I turn again to the forum's wisdom for help. I went on vacations for about 3 weeks and didnt have someone that could come look at my cacti. Most are fine but these two Lophophora have problems. One my theory is it became etiolated and then the new area got sunburnt but not sure, and if so wondering if something I can do.

The other lil guy is shrinking and keeps on doing so despite having returned to normal summer watering schedule for about 2 weeks (thats when I got back). So thinking if there could something more to this shrinkage than lack of water. Will had photos.

Any input appreciated.

Thank you and my kindest regards.
Attachments
20230817_094821.jpg
20230817_094821.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
20230817_094926.jpg
20230817_094926.jpg (56.47 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
MikeInOz

Re: (Lophophora williamsii) Shrinking and perhaps suburn care

Post by MikeInOz »

The cause of your problems is the size of the pot. This pot should have at least 8 plants of that size in it. If you don't have more seedlings you need a much smaller pot. About 2 x the diameter of the plant but it is always better to have a lot of seedlings together in a larger pot.
Rogusi

Post by Rogusi »

It's two different cacti, and while the pot could explain undergrowth and other issues on the second one. I doubt it would starting to act like this suddenly due to the pot, not impossible, but has been living there for at least 2 years (the smaller one).
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Rogusi wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:44 pm It's two different cacti, and while the pot could explain undergrowth and other issues on the second one. I doubt it would starting to act like this suddenly due to the pot, not impossible, but has been living there for at least 2 years (the smaller one).
Mike was correct about measuring diameter at 2 x the diameter of the plant, but he didn't mention the pot's depth. If the pot is too deep for the roots, you'll eventually have a root growth problem which will lead to stem growth problems. Measure from the plant's soil line to its longest root, add a margin of about 2 cm, and this calculates the correct depth of the pot. If Lophophoras have shallow root systems, your pots may be too deep. (And I think they're too wide as well.)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:23 pm due to the pot, not impossible, but has been living there for at least 2 years (the smaller one).
Mike was correct about measuring diameter at 2 x the diameter of the plant, but he didn't mention the pot's depth. If the pot is too deep for the roots, you'll eventually have a root growth problem which will lead to stem growth problems. Measure from the plant's soil line to its longest root, add a margin of about 2 cm, and this calculates the correct depth of the pot. If Lophophoras have shallow root systems, your pots may be too deep. (And I think they're too wide as well.)
[/quote]
I just potted a bunch of Loph seedlings. They had massively long and thick tap roots so I had to use very deep pots to get them in. The top to root ratio was probably 1 to 2! Normally, you are correct that squat pots are the go.