Cactus identification

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Barrason

Cactus identification

Post by Barrason »

It’s a very small cactus, I’m thinking it’s some kind of mammillaria maybe?
Attachments
IMG_0695.jpeg
IMG_0695.jpeg (252.01 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
IMG_0694.jpeg
IMG_0694.jpeg (252.8 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
IMG_0693.jpeg
IMG_0693.jpeg (268.72 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
anttisepp

Re: Cactus identification

Post by anttisepp »

Mammillaria gracilis v. fragilis
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

anttisepp wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:57 pm Mammillaria gracilis v. fragilis
👍
Barrason

Post by Barrason »

Yes that does indeed look like what I have!
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

This post just taught me something I never knew before. I noticed the blooms in the photos. I've been wondering why my M. gracilis has never bloomed. Looks like I might have a blooming plant and never knew how small the flowers are. Thanks for posting Barrason!!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
loyall

Post by loyall »

Jerry, I don't see any blossoms on Barrason's photos. Is perhaps what you are seeing is the small offsets beginning. I have the same plant and I have similar offsets starting, but no blossoms yet. You can see a photo of the blossoms here on Cacti guide if you look up its alternate name M. vetula gracilis.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

loyall wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:55 pm Jerry, I don't see any blossoms on Barrason's photos. Is perhaps what you are seeing is the small offsets beginning. I have the same plant and I have similar offsets starting, but no blossoms yet. You can see a photo of the blossoms here on Cacti guide if you look up its alternate name M. vetula gracilis.
Well, I stand corrected. Thanks loyall for correcting me. You are right. I just looked at Llifle and saw the flowers. I "saw" what looked like white miniature flowers underneath the spines.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:51 pm (...) I've been wondering why my M. gracilis has never bloomed. (...)
Hallo Jerry,
I am wondering with you as my plant doesn't flower, too, although it is a big, old clump by now with over 6years old. The mother plant was a good flowerer, although I think either in winter or early spring. I got mine as a cutling.
This might be interesting for you, Barrason, too, as that would give your tiny plant a good start.
Is it possible that they need extra-much light beginning end of winter...? Or...?
Anybody any idea?
Thanks
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

nachtkrabb wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:57 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:51 pm (...) I've been wondering why my M. gracilis has never bloomed. (...)
Hallo Jerry,
I am wondering with you as my plant doesn't flower, too, although it is a big, old clump by now with over 6years old. The mother plant was a good flowerer, although I think either in winter or early spring. I got mine as a cutling.
This might be interesting for you, Barrason, too, as that would give your tiny plant a good start.
Is it possible that they need extra-much light beginning end of winter...? Or...?
Anybody any idea?
Thanks
N.
Hi Nachtkrabb or N.

I stored my M. gracilis at my friends barely heated greenhouse last winter. Min temps were about 35-40 F (2-4 C). The sun heats the greenhouse more than you'd think. Not sure of the max temp in January.

The plants got very bright light, but not direct sun as they were stored with some of my friends pet plants, like banana and some palms. Some shade was unavoidable.

Here is my plant in October last year. The pot is 4" (10.2 cm) in diameter.
rsz 2022-10-11 Mamm gracilis 1.jpg
rsz 2022-10-11 Mamm gracilis 1.jpg (125.96 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:29 am Hi Nachtkrabb or N.

I stored my M. gracilis at my friends barely heated greenhouse last winter. Min temps were about 35-40 F (2-4 C). The sun heats the greenhouse more than you'd think. Not sure of the max temp in January.

The plants got very bright light, but not direct sun as they were stored with some of my friends pet plants, like banana and some palms. Some shade was unavoidable.

Here is my plant in October last year. The pot is 4" (10.2 cm) in diameter.
rsz 2022-10-11 Mamm gracilis 1.jpg
Hi Jerry, your plant for sure does look great. So in winter, yours get loads more light than mine. But it still doesn't flower, you said? :( What a pity...

I've got mine from a friend who kept them in a kind of dining hall in an attic during winter, which of course had to be heated, although not all through the day. They stood in the attic windows with the Northern sky above them. And they flowered on a regular basis!
So maybe I should bring my plant to my barely heated bedroom with south facing windows & try that? :-k
Nachtkrabb

(Sorry, I am sometimes just too lazy to write my full alias, although I prefer somehow to "sign" my posts. I am quite oldfashioned, you know. :wink: )
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I had this species in my childhood and as I remember usually it flowers in winter-early spring.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

anttisepp wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:10 am I had this species in my childhood and as I remember usually it flowers in winter-early spring.
Hello anttisepp,
do you also remember how you trated your plant? Insiede / outside in summer, much / little sun, in winter cool / medium / warm & with much / little sun...? Water, fertilizer...?
Thanks
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

anttisepp wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:10 am I had this species in my childhood and as I remember usually it flowers in winter-early spring.
Ah, good information. I am not there with the plants at that time. But, I have not seen any dead flowers on the plant either. I'll have to visit more this coming dormant period.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

nachtkrabb wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:55 pm how you trated your plant? Insiede / outside in summer, much / little sun, in winter cool / medium / warm & with much / little sun...? Water, fertilizer...?
Of cause I clear remember that it was very modest plant standing on cool winter window in winter and outside in a small greenhouse outside in summer and receaving water and fertilizers as all other cacti. It needs much sun, in other way elongated stems with poor spination will not bring much joy to its owner. As I know it is very popular and usual plant from 70-es and was common partner of echinopsis and mammillaria wildii on the windows.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

anttisepp wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:48 pm Of cause I clear remember that it was very modest plant standing on cool winter window in winter and outside in a small greenhouse outside in summer and receaving water and fertilizers as all other cacti. It needs much sun, in other way elongated stems with poor spination will not bring much joy to its owner. (...)
Thank you very much, anttisepp. Then I simply do not understand my plant... #-o Well, come time, come flower.
N. :lol:
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.