Avonia papyracea- repotting?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Mrs.Green

Avonia papyracea- repotting?

Post by Mrs.Green »

I got a Avonia papyracea a few days ago. Standing in a small ( 5 cm.) pot. The soil seems to me to be some sort of potting soil ( organic). I carefully lifted out the plant to have a look at the roots. The few roots I saw was very thin and sparse. I wonder if it just several cuttings placed together in one pot. There was a few dried up flowers on some .

The question is, can I leave the plant in the pot with the same soil until next year, if I am careful with the watering? I am more than a bit hesitant to repotting it so late in the summer and as said, the roots seems to be very fragile/few. Seeking info, everywere an inorganic , very draining mix is recommended, some also advice to use terracotta pots to minimize the risk of root rot. Since I am not prone to overwater my plants ( rather the opposite ..) I think terracotta pot may not be neccesary? Are they really as root rot prone as it is stated several places?

Anything else I should do/ not do?
Attachments
221821F8-14B7-4BD7-B221-0C252C1639ED.jpeg
221821F8-14B7-4BD7-B221-0C252C1639ED.jpeg (176.31 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
EEC467DF-C2E5-474D-9E54-9AC9BDFD2CAE.jpeg
EEC467DF-C2E5-474D-9E54-9AC9BDFD2CAE.jpeg (193.48 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Tom in Tucson

Re: Avonia papyracea- repotting?

Post by Tom in Tucson »

The old tried and true method for successful succulent growing is applicable: "Find a good soil that works for you, and stick with it" Which means that whenever possible, remove all the soil from newly purchased plants, and re-pot in yours.

If I were you I would separate any stems not attached to the rooted one(s), wait a few days, pot them up separately, and wait a week or two before watering.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Than you Tom in Tucson 🙂 Excellent advice, as soon as I by trial and error find a mix that works well 😀I only started growing cacti/succulents ‘seriously’ three years ago, so I am very much a beginner yet. I haven’t repotted them yet but I gave them water and they are now more or less standing straight up instead of hanging.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

This genus grows in a mix of sand and fine gravel, with almost no organic matter. If you can't find a mix like that try using some course 1/8" size aquarium gravel. Another option (if you can find any) is using bird or chicken (chick size) grit. Eventually you'l' find the ingredients needed for your own unique blend.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you Tom in Tucson 🙂 Haven’t repotted them yet, but what I have learned so far; like Lithops they don’t rot just by seeing the watering jug.. I see new growth on them, really nice little plant.