Advice sought

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Everett78

Advice sought

Post by Everett78 »

Hello everyone.
I have a couple of mature (2 metres +) Neobuxbaumia polylopha that have become brown and crusted on the crown and upper third of the stem.This happened a couple of years ago.I neglected to keep an eye on them as I thought they were big enough not to have any isssues.They are planted in a glasshouse in proper cactus compost. About the time this problem arose they became heavily infested with mealybug around the crown and upper stem.But the crusted appearance extends well beyond where the bug attacked.They have been in the same place in the glasshouse for years with shade from the hottest sun.Can anyone tell me if I cut the stems back would they sprout new growth from the top? I am still getting a few flowers so possibly growing new plants from seed is the way to go.
Steve Johnson

Re: Advice sought

Post by Steve Johnson »

Everett78 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:59 pm Hello everyone.
I have a couple of mature (2 metres +) Neobuxbaumia polylopha that have become brown and crusted on the crown and upper third of the stem.This happened a couple of years ago.I neglected to keep an eye on them as I thought they were big enough not to have any isssues.They are planted in a glasshouse in proper cactus compost. About the time this problem arose they became heavily infested with mealybug around the crown and upper stem.But the crusted appearance extends well beyond where the bug attacked.They have been in the same place in the glasshouse for years with shade from the hottest sun.Can anyone tell me if I cut the stems back would they sprout new growth from the top? I am still getting a few flowers so possibly growing new plants from seed is the way to go.
Please see this:

viewtopic.php?t=43816

And this:

viewtopic.php?t=46111

New members go to the General forum because it's the first one they see. Understandable, although there's a good reason for link #2. Your thread should be in the Sick Cacti forum -- I'm one of the moderators, so I can move it over there if you'd like. Also, photos would help, and the details on that are also in link #2.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

FWIW, my observations while growing this species outdoors near the coast in CA, can often be problematic if the stems are injured from any cause. This species is alright with an injury if the nights are warm, but if the nights are cool and humid fungus will make a quick entry into the wound turning the area dark brown to black. If a systemic fungicide is used, or cutting off the infection is done as soon as the dis-colorization is discovered it should recover.
Everett78

Post by Everett78 »

I'm sorry Steve .I didn't see a sick cacti forum.I did't look thoroughly enough.I thought General was the place. Yes, can you move it please.
Possibly cool nights could be the cause.Thanks for the replies.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Everett78 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:04 am I'm sorry Steve .I didn't see a sick cacti forum.I did't look thoroughly enough.I thought General was the place. Yes, can you move it please.
Possibly cool nights could be the cause.Thanks for the replies.
Done deal. By the way, it's hard to give you more properly directed advice unless we know your geographical location:

viewtopic.php?t=43819
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)