Growing strategy ?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Re: Growing strategy ?

Post by DaveW »

Mr Xeric you may find some in the Alpine Societies' have them, sometimes as seed. The Alpine Societies in the UK grow some of our high altitude cacti like Maihuenia's as true alpines.

You may also like some of the Chilean high altitude violets which look more like Echevaria's or Aeonium's but I think difficult to grow in warmer regions. Scroll right down the link.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Ch ... C3&first=1
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

DaveW wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:36 am For those in the EU I think you can still import from any EU country?
Hallo Dave,
yes, importing all through the EU is still easily done. The main problem are all the different languages: Not all nurseries offer an English translation. Espicially the Czechs proffer interesting plants, but usually you need to know their language. :-k If I remember correctly, they also still have their own money, not the EURO. [-X
In my personal opinion, it is really sad that you folks on the isles are now outside the EU and can't just share the plants & the fun. :(
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hi Nachtkrabb, using Pay Pall now usually solves the international currency exchange problems and most dealers use it.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi DaveW, that's true that most dealers use paypal -- I don't.
I don't trust them to treat my data well. I am pretty sure they live upon selling data. [-X
Well... My problem, isn't it? :oops:
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

DaveW wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:23 am Mr Xeric you may find some in the Alpine Societies' have them, sometimes as seed. The Alpine Societies in the UK grow some of our high altitude cacti like Maihuenia's as true alpines.

You may also like some of the Chilean high altitude violets which look more like Echevaria's or Aeonium's but I think difficult to grow in warmer regions. Scroll right down the link.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Ch ... C3&first=1
Dave you guessed right, I do like the rosulate Viola. I only know one source of seed for them, and they are not cheap! But more than that, I've read (the little I could find) they are difficult to germinate, apparently gibberellic acid treatment is a must in cultivation, and the seedlings are difficult to keep alive. They also etiolate easily in non-alpine lighting, exacerbated by the gibberellic acid. A true challenge, especially in my climate!

I plan to try my hand at these in the future, but for now, I'll stick with plants that are easier to grow!
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

I grow Mexican cactus and various columnars. They all grow good for me here in Southern California near the coast
keith

Post by keith »

rosulate Viola i just watched a youtube with steve brack in patagonia and these were there along with other alpines
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:47 am rosulate Viola i just watched a youtube with steve brack in patagonia and these were there along with other alpines
Just found the video. will be watching later :)
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

MrXeric wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:36 am
keith wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:47 am rosulate Viola i just watched a youtube with steve brack in patagonia and these were there along with other alpines
I did a little bit of searching and didn't find the video, but did read about the plants. Any way you can post the link to the video?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:19 am
MrXeric wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:36 am
I did a little bit of searching and didn't find the video, but did read about the plants. Any way you can post the link to the video?
Here it is. enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OswoNzwkEeU
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Thanks Eric.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.