Hello! From Virginia USA

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
darth1211

Hello! From Virginia USA

Post by darth1211 »

Hi! I am new to cacti, and right now I have 1 cactus indoors. It's a golden barrel cactus, and I'm wondering what the best soil for them is. I was thinking Black Gold soil is good or Miracle gro cactus soil. Hopefully I can find the right one! :D
FredBW

Re: Hello! From Virginia USA

Post by FredBW »

Personally I would prefer black gold over miracle grow. You didn't say how big your cactus is. A golden barrel can get pretty big. But if possible,it would be happier outside getting some sun. Of course if it were to go outside then we have rain. In that case,about any store bought cactus mix would benefit from some perlite to help the soil not hold so much water and dry out faster.
I myself have what I believe to be a golden barrel that has to be over 70 years old. it was my great Aunt's. It isn't near as big as they are supposed to get. I figure it's because of different winter environments over the years. Sorry for rambling.
But both of those soils should be just fine indoors as long as you let the soil dry out in between watering. I like black gold because it "usually" has less peat moss,and has worm castings added. Which is great fertilizer for cactus as long as it isn't overdone.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
darth1211

Post by darth1211 »

Whoops, forgot to say how big. It's about 5 inches.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

darth1211 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:42 pm Whoops, forgot to say how big. It's about 5 inches.
It sure would be happier outside with some direct morning sun if possible. It could stand afternoon sun also. But keep in mind that while they love sunlight. Cactus can get sunburn just like people. I myself mark pots so I know which side is used to the most sun. I rotate some that are known to lean toward light.
Bring it back inside in the fall. But if you can't keep it outside a bright window is better than having no cactus at all :wink:
The reason I asked the size is an adult Golden barrel cactus can be a chore to move around
darth1211

Post by darth1211 »

It's kind of hard to keep it outside since it storms almost everyday. I have it on a windowsill in my bedroom facing west. It gets afternoon sun by the way.