SDK1's Seedlings 2023

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
SDK1

Re: SDK1's Seedlings 2023

Post by SDK1 »

jerrytheplater wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:49 pm
That flower was fully developed. It wilted in the next 2 days!
That was the fully developed flower?! I thought there would be a more visible spadix but I admittedly don't know anything about that particular plant and not much about aroids in general. But I'm happy it flowered for you, hopefully it's gearing up to put out some killer growth for you this season.
5b/6a - Indiana. Half the year growing outdoors, half the year indoors.

Listening to: Periphery, Termina, Queen Kona, Veil of Maya, Knocked Loose
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

SDK1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:14 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:49 pm
That flower was fully developed. It wilted in the next 2 days!
That was the fully developed flower?! I thought there would be a more visible spadix but I admittedly don't know anything about that particular plant and not much about aroids in general. But I'm happy it flowered for you, hopefully it's gearing up to put out some killer growth for you this season.
Go to this page to see various Cryptocoryne spathes: https://www.cryptocoryneworld.org/spathe.php

When I went to the page on C. wendtii, I did not see any spathe's that were exactly like mine. Maybe I damaged it when moving it to take photos? Maybe that caused premature death of the spathe? https://www.cryptocoryneworld.org/c_wendtii.php
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
SDK1

Post by SDK1 »

Life gets busy but sometimes that helps. I'm definitely guilty of hovering, especially with starting seeds for the first time. I got some Mammillaria herrerae seeds earloer this year and had 0 luck sprouting them in my incubator. 2 tries of keeping the pot in there for 2 weeks didn't do squat. Work started picking up so I tossed the pot outside under some screen and didn't mess with it. Just let it get rained on (and hailed on twice, oops). But, it worked! Have had 11 sprout out of 25 and 9 remain. The picture below is a few days old and 2 have been lost from this picturs I think. We had about 3" of rain and the overnight temps dipped into the mid 50s so I'm betting that took out the two that died. All in all I'm pretty stoked, 11 sprouts is pretty good germination for this species from what I've read. They mostly popped up 2 at a time following a rain event of at least 0.5".
M. herrerae
M. herrerae
20230820_015131.jpg (154.27 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
And here's some M. schideana. One is leaning more towards orange/red spines and that's cool.
M. schideana
M. schideana
20230820_014946.jpg (109.09 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
5b/6a - Indiana. Half the year growing outdoors, half the year indoors.

Listening to: Periphery, Termina, Queen Kona, Veil of Maya, Knocked Loose
keith

Post by keith »

Nice 👍