MrXeric's flowers and things

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Aiko

Re: MrXeric's flowers and things

Post by Aiko »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:13 am Epithelantha chihuahuensis. I cross pollinated several flowers from each plant, but only one plant produced a fruit (with only 2 seeds!) :lol:
That is not a lot, but usually the fruit only contains 5-7 seeds, maybe 8 or 9 if you are really lucky!
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Aiko wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:35 pm
MrXeric wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:13 am Epithelantha chihuahuensis. I cross pollinated several flowers from each plant, but only one plant produced a fruit (with only 2 seeds!) :lol:
That is not a lot, but usually the fruit only contains 5-7 seeds, maybe 8 or 9 if you are really lucky!
Yeah, I wonder if small number of seeds is due to inefficient pollinating on my part? Another member on the forum previously mentioned that Epithelantha flowers may have a particular time of day when the anthers/stigmas release or accept pollen. Something for me to figure out I suppose.
At least both seeds germinated and are growing well! :)
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Some spring flowers.

Parodia haselbergii. Fiery.

Rapicactus zaragosae.

This plant had been struggling for a couple years before I repotted it into something with a little more organic material (peat). It recovered, but it reverted to juvenile growth (no centrals) for a while. R. booleanus was flowering at the same time and they seem to be cross-compatible.

The Rapicactus booleanus (degrafted) in question.

and in fruit (and recovering from etiolation!)

3 years ago I bought a pot of Epithelantha micromeris seedlings, supposedly they were 3 years old at the time, so here they are flowering for the first time at 6 years of age.

Tiny 2mm diameter flowers.

Mammillaria parkinsonii flowering for the first time since I bought it.

Here's what it looked like 3 years ago, just starting to trichotomously divide. It was originally labeled as "Mammillaria albilanata", but I think parkinsonii is a better fit!

Trichodiadema densum always puts on a show every year.

A view of the plant with spent flowers.

We had the first days of 80F+ weather in April. I guess it was a bit too sudden for this degrafted Echinocactus horizonthalonius (SNL 94 White City, New Mexico) because it was the first burn victim of the season!
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

More flowers.

Pediocactus knowltonii SB 304. Degrafted (kind of; Selenicereus megalanthus stock is buried) and flowering for the first time.

Gymnocalycium bruchii 'niveum' WR 727, 3 year old seedlings.

Mammillaria mystax.

Mammillaria candida 'caespitosa' SB 326.

Dudleya virens subsp. hassei.

going dormant for the summer...

Albuca polyphylla 'Augrabies Hills'. Super sweet scent you smell before you see the plant.
keith

Post by keith »

Nice I really like the Epithelantha the way they are all in that pot .
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

More flowers.

Mammillaria humboldtii.

Echinocereus pulchellus.

Astrophytum capricorne.

Mammillaria lenta.

A pair of Discocactus horstii grafted on Pereskiopsis.

I like to repot Lithops in the spring (April).

I trim the roots and let the plants dry for several days before potting up.

I keep dry for 2-3 weeks before watering after potting up. By that time they should be well rooted. Here's one pot with a variety of species soon after watering. The plants were originally covered with the top dressing, but they pushed themselves through after watering.