MrXeric's seedlings 2022

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
keith

Re: MrXeric's seedlings 2022

Post by keith »

Cochemiea theresae those are hard to germinate ( for me anyway ) well done .
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Cochemiea theresae are my favorite cacti. I tried nicking the seeds which did accelerate the germination but also lead me to killing a few crushing the seeds. I found just sowing fresh seeds to work well. My seeds were sub 6 months old and germinated well. Many suggest 'aging' the seeds for atleast a year.
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

Very nice and well grown seedlings, excellent job.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

keith wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:24 pm Cochemiea theresae those are hard to germinate ( for me anyway ) well done .
These germinated no problem within a few days of sowing. I sowed another batch in November and those have yet to do anything. :lol:
LateBloomer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:27 pm Cochemiea theresae are my favorite cacti. I tried nicking the seeds which did accelerate the germination but also lead me to killing a few crushing the seeds. I found just sowing fresh seeds to work well. My seeds were sub 6 months old and germinated well. Many suggest 'aging' the seeds for atleast a year.
Yeah, I've tried chipping the seed of Pediocactus and Sclerocactus and all that did was kill the seeds. I guess my hands are too clumsy for such a delicate task.
Nino_G wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:35 pm Very nice and well grown seedlings, excellent job.
Thanks!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

MrXeric wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:03 pm
LateBloomer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:27 pm Cochemiea theresae are my favorite cacti. I tried nicking the seeds which did accelerate the germination but also lead me to killing a few crushing the seeds. I found just sowing fresh seeds to work well. My seeds were sub 6 months old and germinated well. Many suggest 'aging' the seeds for atleast a year.
Yeah, I've tried chipping the seed of Pediocactus and Sclerocactus and all that did was kill the seeds. I guess my hands are too clumsy for such a delicate task.
Have you tried following this advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGG2-YpGDWA ?
Works like a charm, at least for Sclerocactus. I skipped the sterilisation part myself as I see more use in the effort of sterilising the soil I sow the seeds in.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Aiko wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:10 pm Have you tried following this advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGG2-YpGDWA ?
Works like a charm, at least for Sclerocactus. I skipped the sterilisation part myself as I see more use in the effort of sterilising the soil I sow the seeds in.
Yeah, that's the video I followed. The seeds I didn't chip were the ones that germinated! I recently ordered P. peeblesianus seeds that I have placed in the fridge for cold-moist stratification. Never tried this before, so who knows what results I'll get.
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

MrXeric wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:22 pm
Aiko wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:10 pm Have you tried following this advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGG2-YpGDWA ?
Yeah, that's the video I followed. The seeds I didn't chip were the ones that germinated! I recently ordered P. peeblesianus seeds that I have placed in the fridge for cold-moist stratification. Never tried this before, so who knows what results I'll get.

Peeblesianus germinates without any method, you can sow it directly.
keith

Post by keith »

Cochemiea theresae save any seeds that didn't germinate I have noticed they will germinate for the next 2 or 3 years.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Fatich wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:49 pm
MrXeric wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:22 pm

Peeblesianus germinates without any method, you can sow it directly.
Oh, that's good to know. The seeds have been in the fridge for a month now, but instead of leaving them in there longer like originally planned, I will sow them together with the other cactus seeds in the next few days.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

keith wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:22 pm Cochemiea theresae save any seeds that didn't germinate I have noticed they will germinate for the next 2 or 3 years.
If I remember correctly, only 2 seeds didn't germinate from the pot shown. I didn't bother looking for them. :lol:
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

This Mammillaria pennispinosa ML 632 has flowered for the first time.

I love the fuzzy spines!
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:32 pm This Mammillaria pennispinosa ML 632 has flowered for the first time.
I love the fuzzy spines!
Wow, that's a really cool species! Never seen a Mamm with the fuzzy spines before.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

MrXeric, I really enjoy your threads. Beautiful plants and amazing photographs. :thumbup:

zpeckler wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:44 pm Wow, that's a really cool species! Never seen a Mamm with the fuzzy spines before.
M. plumosa has hairy spines.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

zpeckler wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:44 pm
MrXeric wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:32 pm This Mammillaria pennispinosa ML 632 has flowered for the first time.
I love the fuzzy spines!
Wow, that's a really cool species! Never seen a Mamm with the fuzzy spines before.
Yeah, it's such a cool little Mamm! The fuzzy spines (fuzzy hooks!) are the primary reason I wanted to grow this species.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Nino_G wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:00 pm MrXeric, I really enjoy your threads. Beautiful plants and amazing photographs. :thumbup:
Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying them! :D