Submitting photos

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Lithops11

Submitting photos

Post by Lithops11 »

How do I add photos?
loyall

Re: Submitting photos

Post by loyall »

I have had success doing the following on my computer. Before I go to the forum I use my photo editor to reduce the selected photo to 800x600 pixels in Jpeg format. Then I go the forum and I either create a topic or click reply in an existing topic. You can type your text first or wait and add it after you insert the photo. To insert the photo click "Full Editor and Preview" at the bottom of the reply window. Next click the "Attachments" tab which is below the preview window. Now click "Add files" on the attachments tab which will open a navigation window in your computer. Navigate to your edited photo and click open at the bottom of your navigation window. That will place the file name of your photo on the still open attachments tab. Next place your cursor wherever you want the photo to appear in the text, usually before or after your text. Now click "Place inline" which is beside the file name on the attachments tab. Your photo will immediately appear in your draft message at whatever place your left your cursor. Amend your text as necessary then click the submit button and you are done.
Download

Post by Download »

Don't use the forum image uploader. The image resolution limits are terrible and make your photo barely usable. If you are uploading to the ID subforum, it's even worse. No one wants to squint at the screen and figure it out for you.

Instead, upload them somewhere like imgur.com

The image link them goes inside [img][\img] tags (turn the back slash to a forward slash).
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I second using an image hosting/sharing service like imgur.com. It's easier than having to change image size. The only issue may be that the hosting service website may lose your pictures (you can see the missing images in some of the oldest threads here).
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes, the problem with many Forums is missing images because they were hosted elsewhere. I just upload straight from my computer, having resized the pictures in Photoshop Elements.

As to pictures on hosting sites, will not this site automatically resize what you see on screen if in a post? A computer screen usually has a resolution of a 5-6 megapixel camera. Therefore even if you put on a picture from a professional high megapixel camera, 5-6 megapixels on screen is all you will get. The old saying "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" applies and though you may be able to use those extra megapixels printing an image out, 5-6 megapixels resolution is all you will get on screen. Digital projectors in club meetings are even worse since most are only a few megapixels resolution. Therefore most of us have cameras with far more megapixels than we will ever use.

The old image size limits were due to the size most computer screens were then to stop people having to scroll an image that was larger than their screen

10 megapixel camera, Image resized in Elements and uploaded straight off my computer using the Forum's uploader. These days I could have used a larger image, but that was the size limits of an old site I was on. Post processing, particularly sharpening of a RAW digital image, can often make more difference on screen than an image straight out of the camera, although the latest cameras internal processors are now pretty good.

Gumnocalycium  stellatum.jpg
Gumnocalycium stellatum.jpg (81.1 KiB) Viewed 504 times