Repotting cactus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Lithops11

Repotting cactus

Post by Lithops11 »

Hi i recently started keeping cactus and I have noticed that the potting soil I use seems moist when I first repot my cactus then dries out quickly and when I add water it soaks into the soil a bit but does not penetrate and much of the water seeps out the bottom through the drain hole. I now moisten the soil when repotting and have seen better results I would like to know other people opinion!
MrXeric

Re: Repotting cactus

Post by MrXeric »

Maybe your soil is heavy on the peat? Peat doesn't like to wet easily once dry, so water will either just sit on the surface or channel through the path of least resistance. Bottom watering may help with this issue. I prefer using soil mixtures with little or no peat and don't encounter wettability issues.

I only repot cacti in totally dry substrate. I moisten the substrate when repotting young seedlings though. They are more tolerant (typically) to moisture and it's easier when repotting multiple seedlings in the same pot since the holes you poke into the soil retain their shape better when moist.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Lithops11
You don't say which Brand of Cactus Soil you are using. I've noticed that unless I triple water, many of my 6" and smaller pots will not get fully hydrated. I'll soak, soak again in a few minutes and then soak again a few minutes later. Usually the 3rd soak will sit on the surface for 10 to 15 seconds before seeping through. I've had no issues with dry pots since adopting this watering method.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Download

Post by Download »

I don't repot into anything but dry soil for the same reason we don't water for a week or so after repotting.

When you repot you damage the roots. Wet soil breeds pathogens which get in. So we repot into dry soil and wait for the roots to heal before watering.