At what point/ temps are you bringing in your Cactus?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
EliWhitney3140

At what point/ temps are you bringing in your Cactus?

Post by EliWhitney3140 »

I know Cactus can withstand much colder conditions than most people realize, but I am curious at what temps most people are bringing your Cacti indoors? I have all my cactus in a greenhouse but I don't want to take any chances. I mostly have Copiapoa, Eriosyce, and Loph species. I know Copiapoa and Eriosyce are pretty used to colder temps. It actually looks like the temps in Antofagasta Desert are the same temp as my area today. I know loph come from warmer areas though.
7george

Re: At what point/ temps are you bringing in your Cactus?

Post by 7george »

I already started couple of days ago. Minimums in our neighbourhood fell to +2, 3° C so I started moving tender ones one by one.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Wow, that is soon already! Officially it is still (an astronomical) summer.
For you maybe a usual thing at this time of the year, but up here we can still enjoy a nice autumn usually running until late October where day time temperatues of 15C-20C are still possible. It is not until November things start to deteriorate to dark gloomy days with cold nights once December has arrived.

I start to bring in most of my plants when the nights start to show temperatures of <0C and there are a few of them in a row. At least that goes for cacti. The succulents are a bit less robust and should be brought in just a tad sooner than when it starts to freeze.
metsolt

Post by metsolt »

I usually move them inside (at least not hardy ones) when temperatures reach +5°C during the day, which won't happen for a whiiiile. I'm in Southern Europe, it's still around 30°C these days, I'm even still watering some of mine and will for a few more times. Roughly around November is when the sun leaves us.

The first frost last year was on December 1st so I think I could have kept most of my cacti outside until that point without much worrying, since I don't have any sensitive species.