New Cactus Yellowing

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
okoner

New Cactus Yellowing

Post by okoner »

Hi Everyone! New to here, and appreciate any help. I've had a few Cactus within my home, but recently bought one and have had issues with it from the start. Within a week or 2 it had rot on the top of one of the stocks, so I removed it. After I cut this about a week ago, there is now a lot of yellowing happening. I'm a bit worried that I either did this wrong, or there is something worse going on with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It currently sits in a room that gets full sun, but not directly. It sits about 12 feet way from the windows currently. The other 2 stocks seem very healthy, but not sure what is going on with this one. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

-Casey
Attachments
IMG_4665.jpg
IMG_4665.jpg (98.15 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
IMG_4666.jpg
IMG_4666.jpg (76.56 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
IMG_4667.jpg
IMG_4667.jpg (77.95 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
IMG_4668.jpg
IMG_4668.jpg (85.49 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
mikethecactusguy

Re: New Cactus Yellowing

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I would say it is dying. Split it from the healthy plant. And give them more sun. 12ft away from a window is not much light
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed on both counts.
Spence :mrgreen:
okoner

Post by okoner »

Thank you! Any idea what could have caused that?
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

A before the cutting/surgery picture could possibly show where the infection started.
Good luck with recovery.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
okoner

Post by okoner »

Here is before I cut it, started blackening on the top. I cut it far below where it was yellowing in this photo. I really really appreciate all this help. Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_4568.jpg
IMG_4568.jpg (72.39 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
IMG_4571.jpg
IMG_4571.jpg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
IMG_4572.jpg
IMG_4572.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello okoner,
it looks like the infection had progressed more toward the base of the plant than what the color of the plant tissue would indicate. I think, a better place to cut back the stem would have been the location, where the stem is a bit constricted, i.e. to remove all the season's new growth.
I assume, that you did treat the cut with an antibiotic and disinfected the cutting tool before making the final cut.
At times our best efforts are futile, becasue the infection already had spread throughout the plant. If the plant is a very valuable one, one last ditch effort could be to try an areole graft. Even that would not necessarily yield a positive outcome.

Harald
okoner

Post by okoner »

Thank you! Yes I did treat the first cut. So what I just did last night was cut it again in the same spot you just mentioned. This time I treated it with cinnamon hoping that is better than what i used the first time. My cutting tool was disinfected and very sharp so it went very simply. It is pretty expensive, so yes I'd love to try and save this guy, but I'm a bit worried as I really can't find much information on what this possibly could be. There are 2 other trunks within the same pot, and those 2 are doing great.

When I bought these, they were together, but this one was much lighter than the other 2 since day one.... not sure if that matters much. Thanks everyone for all the help. I have a few cacti, but this is the first time I've ever run into a problem so far.