My tiny S.mirabillis blooming early

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
mikethecactusguy

My tiny S.mirabillis blooming early

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I had one of these a few years back. It grew to about 4" in length. sprouted 3 or 4 flowers which opened at night. It did then grow seeds and died. All typical growth for this species. So I was surprised to see this start to flower a few days ago. I received it from Planet Desert 2 months ago and its tiny. Only 1 1/2" inches tall. I was sure it would get to 3" or 4" before sprouting.
PXL_20210306_145806515.jpg
PXL_20210306_145806515.jpg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
PXL_20210306_145816555.jpg
PXL_20210306_145816555.jpg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
PXL_20210306_145822780.jpg
PXL_20210306_145822780.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
greenknight

Re: My tiny S.mirabillis blooming early

Post by greenknight »

Cool. It raises my hopes - I grew some from seed, the biggest is about 2" tall. Apparently, that's big enough. Still pretty cold here, though, i don't expect to see anything real soon.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Setiechinopsis mirabilis is one of those relatively short lived plants. However it is self fertile and produces seed easily so it is best to set a few seeds to have a replacement coming along. Not all cacti live as long as Saguaro's, some of the small ones have a limited life span but regularly regenerate from seed in habitat.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/SETIEC ... abilis.htm
mikethecactusguy

I was not able to save the seeds from the last plant. This time I will be more patient and wait for them to ripen completely.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Every flower usually sets a spindle shaped fruit with viable seeds.
mikethecactusguy

This was my last one in May 2019. It bloomed, the seed pouch's grew but I got impatient. I pulled them before they were ripe. Finding another "plant" was tough. I can buy seeds. So I was happy to find this little guy. I'm just surprised it is blooming so young.
IMG_20190527_120338-001.jpg
IMG_20190527_120338-001.jpg (80.84 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They're supposed to be able to bloom in their second year from seed, so it's not really remarkable. Mine are a bit older than that, but I grow my cacti rather hard - they haven't been pushed to grow fast like the nurseries do.
Spence :mrgreen:
mikethecactusguy

Thanks All.
I remember this other one was bought from an e-bay seller. It took 6 months for it to start to bloom. I was hoping to get another inch or 2 out of this new one before it bloomed.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Blooming will not stop it growing. I think my plant was about 7 years old before I lost it. Never seems to be any reason why they just pack up, perhaps it is just old age for them. A plant description says:-

"Dark brown, cylindrical which seldom grows taller than 15 cm, 2.5 cm in diameter. The plants seem to die long before this, and are best replaced with fresh seed-raised ones."

All a plant needs to do is pass on its genes to another generation in the form of seed. As long as it lives long enough to do this that is all nature requires and the species will not die out. Probably we are used to cacti having a reasonably long life, therefore the few that don't come as a bit of a surprise to us. I believe Mammillaria louiseae is also supposed to be a short lived plant (usually under 10 years) but is also one that produces and regenerates freely from seed in habitat. After all annual garden plants only last one year and then regenerate from seed the next.
mikethecactusguy

Hi Dave
I read that also on Illife when I received my first plant. I think my first died due to my inexperience 2 years ago. I've learned a lot from all of you "old guys" since joining the forum. I will keep pictures coming. Today it was already a little over 3/8" or 9mm.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Remember to bring it into the house when about to flower since it blooms at night or you will probably miss it.
mikethecactusguy

Yes, the night bloom. And if you expose it to bright light it will close up almost immediately. The first flower opened up, I turned on the outdoor light to take a picture and 5 minutes later it was closed. I think if I keep it in the greenhouse, it will give me a chance to take a few pictures this time.
And yes, it will just suddenly open up with no warning. The 4 on the other plant did that. 2 in one night.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines