Mrs.Green windowsills-growing cacti against the odds (links on page 9)

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
BryanT

Re: Mrs.Green windowsills-growing cacti against the odds (links on page 9)

Post by BryanT »

The hoya in the 1st photo seems to be happy! :D
Is that Hoya kerrii?
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

BryanT wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:26 pm The hoya in the 1st photo seems to be happy! :D
Is that Hoya kerrii?
Hi Bryan 🙂 Yes it is Hoya kerrii. This plant has an interesting story. Many years ago my mother was gifted a single leaf in a pot. This leaf stod still for several years without anything happenening. Suddenly it sprouted new growth and became a plant. My mothers patience paid off. She had the plant for some years then gave it to me when it got to big.

This plant have obviously not read the care instructions given many places.. ( don’t place it in full sun and treat it like a succulent). I did try to follow care advice from the net but it didn’t like it) It takes full sun for several hours a day and to keep it happy I ‘dump’ water on it in the growing season. It’s amazing how much water it will take to be happy and grow.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I think you had problem to keep A. myriostigma well last season but it seems they are all right now.
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Mrs.Green wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:37 pm Hi Bryan 🙂 Yes it is Hoya kerrii. This plant has an interesting story. Many years ago my mother was gifted a single leaf in a pot. This leaf stod still for several years without anything happenening. Suddenly it sprouted new growth and became a plant. My mothers patience paid off. She had the plant for some years then gave it to me when it got to big.

This plant have obviously not read the care instructions given many places.. ( don’t place it in full sun and treat it like a succulent). I did try to follow care advice from the net but it didn’t like it) It takes full sun for several hours a day and to keep it happy I ‘dump’ water on it in the growing season. It’s amazing how much water it will take to be happy and grow.
Yes, most Hoyas are quite drought tolerance, but they don't like dry for too long (mostly from tropical rainforest), as long as don't water them too much during very cold weather. They needs sun to flower, but not too much direct sun.
Bryan
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Hanazono wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:57 am I think you had problem to keep A. myriostigma well last season but it seems they are all right now.
Thank you Hanazono 🙂 I am still very much trying out whats ‘right or wrong as I am new to growing Astrophytums. I had nine but are down to seven now . But I am happy to see flowers and buds on some of them. Hopefully I am doing something right at least .

BryanT wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:38 am
Yes, most Hoyas are quite drought tolerance, but they don't like dry for too long (mostly from tropical rainforest), as long as don't water them too much during very cold weather. They needs sun to flower, but not too much direct sun.
I only have two Hoyas ; the kerrii and a carnosa. Both seems to thrive with full sun exposure but I am pretty sure ‘full sun’ here and were you live e.g. is very different 🙂
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Mrs.Green wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:08 am I only have two Hoyas ; the kerrii and a carnosa. Both seems to thrive with full sun exposure but I am pretty sure ‘full sun’ here and were you live e.g. is very different 🙂
Hoya carnosa is one of the most common Hoya here. Nice pinkish flowers, with lots of sweet nectar dripping from the flowers. :thumbright:
Bryan
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

BryanT wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:38 am
Mrs.Green wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:08 am I only have two Hoyas ; the kerrii and a carnosa. Both seems to thrive with full sun exposure but I am pretty sure ‘full sun’ here and were you live e.g. is very different 🙂
Hoya carnosa is one of the most common Hoya here. Nice pinkish flowers, with lots of sweet nectar dripping from the flowers. :thumbright:
Here too, carnosa is a plant you often find in homes . Don’t see it often for sale though, I guess it travels from home to home as cuttings. The nectar from kerri especially ( in my experience is ) is plentiful and VERY sticky. Sticks to surfaces like glue and try washing it off from curtains..
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Nostalgia

I found this one today, Chamaecereus silvestrii; a cactus I remember from my childhood and haven’t seen for sale for years.
Attachments
345ECBC9-2733-478B-8DF1-624BDB872479.jpeg
345ECBC9-2733-478B-8DF1-624BDB872479.jpeg (195.02 KiB) Viewed 7479 times
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

With a few starts/cuttings for trades in a year or two!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:20 pm With a few starts/cuttings for trades in a year or two!
Absolutely! 😃 In fact I have already potted a few ‘cuttings’, that had fallen off the mother plant during transportation home. I am very happy with this find, I know it’s a very common cactus but as mentioned, I haven’t seen it for sale here for years and it’s something special with plants you remember from childhood 🙂