ID help please!

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Michaelxr3

ID help please!

Post by Michaelxr3 »

Probably an easy one but can’t put a name to this. Have spent a while looking and looked in local shop but no name on the examples there? Not even sure if is a succulent or cactus.....
Spent too long on google and you tube, frustratingly can see this one in the background when others are being identified on you tube!
Would appreciate any help, thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0232.jpeg
IMG_0232.jpeg (282.45 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
greenknight

Re: ID help please!

Post by greenknight »

A closer picture would be better, but yes, this is a pretty easy one. It is a cactus, and a very popular variety - Opuntia monacantha f. monstruosa variegata, commonly known as “Joseph's Coat”. Unlike a lot of variegated cacti, it's easy to grow - I guess that's why it's popular.

More info at: http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... _variegata

Looks like it was in poor light for a time, judging by the skinny section on the main stem and the lack of variegation near the top. No worries, though, the way they branch out it will cover up all that before long. Give it plenty of light (careful not to sunburn it until it gets used to it) and it will get much more colorful.
Spence :mrgreen:
Michaelxr3

Post by Michaelxr3 »

Perfect, thank you very much. I think it didn’t get much light in the shop perhaps. When we get some sun I’m making sure it receives some!
Great help, thanks again.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Michaelxr3 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:55 pm I think it didn’t get much light in the shop perhaps.
I thought that was probably what happened, since your other Opuntia looks fine.

Here's another link to a site that has a bunch of pictures, where you can see just how colorful these can get:https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60006/
Spence :mrgreen:
Michaelxr3

Post by Michaelxr3 »

Wow! I know what to aim for.....
It’s out there in the limited sun just now, hopefully I’ll post an image of a more healthy cactus before too long.
Thanks again for your excellent guidance.