Does "water therapy" actually work for cacti?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Caudexguy99

Does "water therapy" actually work for cacti?

Post by Caudexguy99 »

I keep seeing people on Instagram post using "water therapy" for their cacti to grow roots, where they stick the root/root nub into a glass of water.
cactus-sprout06lr-820x823.jpg
cactus-sprout06lr-820x823.jpg (63.58 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Has anyone tried this and gotten positive long term results? I figured this would just result in weak roots that are not used to the air and would quizkly die when taken out and introduced to soil.
mikethecactusguy

Re: Does "water therapy" actually work for cacti?

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Lots of water. Are vitamins introduced?
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
samhain

Post by samhain »

I think the general consensus is water roots are weak. There was a thread talking about it not too long ago, seems the forum won’t let you search “water” so I can’t find it.
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’
Shane

Post by Shane »

I did a little experimentation last year, and it wasn't clear that water rooting was better in any way. I only do water rooting on plants that are difficult to root in soil, which doesn't really include cacti. I was pretty afraid of rot with the water method because the wound never really heals while it's rooting. People on reddit seem to think it's really great though, you might get some good perspectives asking there
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

from the above picture it looks like the body floats above the water level. Is that correct?
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

They are usually suspended by some means above the water level so only the roots are immersed either by the narrowness of the container neck or a cardboard or plastic collar as the one on the left.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orname ... -water.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uH_-IUxmQw

As Samhain says water roots are different to those in soil and when transplanted some need to grow new roots. However it can sometimes be used to revive dehydrated cacti that can then be rooted in soil.

Pre CITES I was once sent some plants from Southern Peru, a very dry area relying solely on mist for their survival. A couple of Haageocereus and Islaya's. The Haageocereus immediately put out roots when suspended above water but the Islaya's did not. Showing even plants from the same area respond differently to water rooting.

The video shows plants with roots being immersed in water. However as said as with my Peruvian rootless plants it can sometimes be used to produce roots on plants that presently have none if suspended above the water in the humid atmosphere.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Once I saved my really badly dehydrated Gymnocalycium gibbosum by this trick.