What's covering my PEYOTE (LOPHOPHORA WILLIAMSII)

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Allan Gam

What's covering my PEYOTE (LOPHOPHORA WILLIAMSII)

Post by Allan Gam »

Hi there. This is my first post here...

I'd like to do everything in order to make my new Peyote thrive and have a good life... So I have a lot to learn.

I replaced the plastic pot with a terracotta pot. I realized a bit later that the new pot might be a little bit too big to be optimal. Would you guys recommend me to dowwnsize? I'm planning to water it every two weeks by putting the pot on a deep saucer filled with water for 5-10 minutes. If the pot is too big, I'm concerned that the moisture won't reach to the root parts.

The main reason for my first post is that I'd like to learn why my Peote has a "cover". Is it a good thing and should I do something to remove it?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts that you'd like to share with me :D
20200411_112911.jpg
20200411_112911.jpg (112.69 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Aiko

Re: What's covering my PEYOTE (LOPHOPHORA WILLIAMSII)

Post by Aiko »

By cover, you mean the wool on top? That is supposed to be there. There are enthousiasts that regard this wool very highly by not watering the plant from above so the wool does not flush off (I don't know if this can even happen), some even comb and shampoo their plants.

And I think I see a flower bud appearing!

Regarding the pot, yes, I do think the pot is quite big. I can't judge the soil very well, but from what I see it looks okayish. Personally I would not stick to any schedule that says "water every two weeks" or something like that. Water when the weather permits. 'Read' the signs.
And if you water, I would just pour a few good splashes of water on the soil from above. If the soil is draining, all the roots will get wet. I can't judge if the same happens if you use your saucer.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Don't worry about it, Lophophora's are as tough as old boots and mine drop below freezing most years in the UK in my unheated greenhouse. However they are the only cactus that when it goes into winter rest feels soft and squishy and is not rotten. It is a normal way they dehydrate and thicken their sap to make it more like antifreeze. Just treat it as a normal cactus, including watering. Afraid I have too many plants to bother with individual watering, they just get the watering can over the top of them in the growing season making sure they get enough until water flows freely out of the pots drainage hole and then left until the pot dries out again.

As Aiko says your question "what's covering my peyote" is not clear. He deals with the wool tufts at the areoles, which is incidentally how the genus gets it's name. lophos = crest + phoreos = to bear, meaning crest bearing, a reference to the persistent crest like tufts of wool in the mature areoles. Wool in or around the crown is often a way cacti protect the growing centre from sun in habitat.

If you meant the whitish bluish bloom on the body, that is known as farina and it a naturally produced wax that acts a bit like sunscreen to protect against the sun.
7george

Post by 7george »

Some mature lophophoras are woolly and some - bare on the top. Don't think this depends on their watering way.That bud will open soon and this means the plant knows how to provide water for its' needs. I usually pure water on the top until seeing some in the saucer below. This "excess" water gets sucked back afterwards and the plant gets harder at squeezing.
https://i.postimg.cc/15XgvqRZ/IMG-5174l.jpg
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Allan Gam

Post by Allan Gam »

Thanks guys for the answers. With your kind help, I'm sure I'll be able to provide the best environment possible for my Loph...
7george wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:41 pm Some mature lophophoras are woolly and some - bare on the top.
Sounds just like humans then... :D :D :D Ha!
Allan Gam

Post by Allan Gam »

Aiko wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:35 pm And I think I see a flower bud appearing!
Good observation! A flower appeared and it opend up today (those lophs are fast!) I'll attach a new photo tomorrow!

Thanks!
Allan Gam

Post by Allan Gam »

Aiko wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:35 pm By cover, you mean the wool on top?
Yes! :D
Allan Gam

Post by Allan Gam »

Aiko wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:35 pm I can't judge the soil very well, but from what I see it looks okayish.
I bought the soil from a japaneese girl living in the south of Sweden. The contents: Pumice, Scoria, Green Compost, Coconut Fiber, Clay Granules.
Allan Gam

Post by Allan Gam »

Aiko wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:35 pm And I think I see a flower bud appearing!
It opened up the day after.
20200413_152014.jpg
20200413_152014.jpg (79.44 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
TimN

Post by TimN »

Nice, in a few months you should get some fruit.

This is one of my plants. You can tell I don't comb it's hair.
L williiamsii b.jpg
L williiamsii b.jpg (119.44 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Allan Gam

Post by Allan Gam »

TimN wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:12 pm Nice, in a few months you should get some fruit.

This is one of my plants. You can tell I don't comb it's hair.

L williiamsii b.jpg
Lovely! It must be quite old?!
TimN

Post by TimN »

Allan Gam wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:25 pm
Lovely! It must be quite old?!
I've had it since 2007, it was about 3" across when I got it. As you can see, I don't shampoo and brush the hair :roll: . It's outside under shade cloth all the time. I get about 10 volunteers each year, they turn up in different pots here and there... Quite and enjoyable plant, IMO.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim