Dioscorea Elephantipes disaster has struck

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
mikethecactusguy

Dioscorea Elephantipes disaster has struck

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I'm not getting much response on the other post so I'm starting new with an update
I came home Sunday morning to find the winds we were having Sunday morning had some way twisted the vine completely around. I tried to twist it back but it was obvious it was badly damaged. So, to hopefully protect the caudex, I cut it off cleanly.
IMG_20191020_110545.jpg
IMG_20191020_110545.jpg (105.49 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
It will now be a challenge to figure out what the caudex will do. I am going to move it indoors to my newly set up plant window/sanctuary.
IMG_20191017_171901.jpg
IMG_20191017_171901.jpg (110.65 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
IMG_20191014_090318.jpg
IMG_20191014_090318.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
IMG_20191014_090313.jpg
IMG_20191014_090313.jpg (112.22 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
It will share the space with my other 2 Dioscorea Elephantipes and 4 melocactus.
So now I get to see how it reacts
Will it go dormant? Will it start to grow another vine? I was told buy Desert Creations in Northridge that if the vine is damaged it will kill the caudex.
Its a waiting game no matter what. The other 2 Dioscorea Elephantipes are showing new growth since I moved them indoors last week. 12 hours of light and 65 degree temps.
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Shane

Re: Dioscorea Elephantipes disaster has struck

Post by Shane »

I've enjoyed following your Discorea's life and I hope it pulls through!
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Your other post didn't ask any questions, partly explaining the lack of response.

I'm not sure why you needed "to protect the caudex". The vines are deciduous, they die back and regrow every year. Why would vine damage kill the caudex?
I'm not sure about keeping it under lights over winter - I think they can be grown outside in many parts of California so natural light and temperatures may work best to allow a seasonal growth / dormancy pattern
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
mikethecactusguy

The problem with these plants is that there is no clear cut information about them. So when you are given information, especially from what is supposed to be a reliable source ( desert creations) one has to assume it is correct. While posting its progress on the other posting I had hoped people would add to my information and help dispel any miss information. Personally I'd like to leave this outside and let it grow that way. Since everything posted says don't get the caudex wet and don't let it get direct sunlight, what suggestions do other people have? There seems to be so much information that seems contradictory to how this plant would grow in nature. That was the reason for me experimenting like I had with sun exposure. I sure could use some more information if someone could help.
Thank you
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

I have a bunch I grew from seed. Some in full sun all day and some under shade cloth. The ones under the shade seem to be happier
mikethecactusguy

Thank you
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

esp_imaging wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:12 am ... may work best to allow a seasonal growth / dormancy pattern
I have to agree with you. I am absolutely convinced, after 11 years of growing cacti, that THE most efficacious action we can take in growing xeric plants is to reproduce their natural environment to the greatest extent possible, while adding to it the minimum that we can get by with ... using materiels to enhance growth (fertilizer) or to protect from pests (insecticides).
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a