Haworthias: Hand-Pollination

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Perdertand

Haworthias: Hand-Pollination

Post by Perdertand »

Hi, I have a few Haworthia flowering and have been trying to pollinate them. I attempted using a brush hair but wasn't successful and have moved on and tried the method below.

I used the method described here
https://www.haworthia.com/pollination/

I would like to find out if I need to rub the stamen on the stigma till pollen is visible or would the pollination still be successful if I can't see pollen.

Thanks in advance
Aiko

Re: Haworthias: Hand-Pollination

Post by Aiko »

I just wiggle a horse's or donkey's hair around in the flower, and that usually does the trick for about half of the flowers. Don't aim too much, just wiggle around and go from flower to flower and alternate a bit. It's quick and easy.
Perdertand

Post by Perdertand »

Aiko wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:08 pm I just wiggle a horse's or donkey's hair around in the flower, and that usually does the trick for about half of the flowers. Don't aim too much, just wiggle around and go from flower to flower and alternate a bit. It's quick and easy.
Thank you Aiko,

Do you also wet the hair before inserting?

I also used the same hair on all the flowers is it best to use a new hair when I want to try specific crosses ?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Yes, use a different hair per species.

I don't wet the hair. Could help. I sometimes do wonder if it helps to get the flower wet (of any plant), though. But I am happy enough with the result when all is dry, so I haven't bothered to get things wet.
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

I also dissect the flowers because it's so much easier, although it does take more time.

Remember that the female parts mature 2-4 days after the male parts, so you may take a flower that looks dead/wilted, and still fertilize it.

Also remember that some traits (such as some forms of variegation) can be inherited only from one parent or the other, depending upon mode of inheritance.
Perdertand

Post by Perdertand »

Aloinopsis wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:36 pm I also dissect the flowers because it's so much easier, although it does take more time.

Remember that the female parts mature 2-4 days after the male parts, so you may take a flower that looks dead/wilted, and still fertilize it.

Also remember that some traits (such as some forms of variegation) can be inherited only from one parent or the other, depending upon mode of inheritance.
Thank you Aloinopsis.

Do you see pollen on the stigma when you pollinate ?

I think that I might not have rubbed hard enough or that the pollen dried out.
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Not always. There have been times when I thought there wasn't any pollen, and voila--the cross "took."

I used to have a headband with a magnifying glass on it for this very situation but I misplaced it.
Perdertand

Post by Perdertand »

I used the brush method and had success with these two plants.

I tried the dissecting method but I suspect that pollen dries out before fertilization due to the warm/dry climate.
Attachments
IMG-20190928-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20190928-WA0018.jpg (63.51 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
IMG-20190928-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20190928-WA0016.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 2308 times