Nick's Collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
mmcavall

Re: Nick's Collection

Post by mmcavall »

Same here. I have some Dorstenia seedlings for the first time, but it is presumably the wrong season (winter here).
AusNick89

Post by AusNick89 »

supergodzilla wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:29 am I'll be interested to follow your Dorstenia seedling(s). I've just had a few germinate myself, the Australian winter is clearly not the ideal climate for them to be starting off in, but they seem to be doing okay so far!
Seems to be a bit warmer this year, these and many other plants seem to be growing well still. Even chilli plants I have are flowering still out in the garden.

Here's an update on mine, they seem to be fattening out. I've just got them on the heatmat still under a single light next to some orchids.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (106.84 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
AusNick89

Post by AusNick89 »

Not been doing much with the plants as of late as its winter here, but the Dorstenia seedlings are coming along still. I noticed their first leaves died off shortly after their first true leaves came through. One has a cute little caudex forming on it already.

I also decided to change the lid on the pot too to a cupcake lid so it was a little higher up and the water droplets don't hit the seedlings.

Not the best of photos, sorry.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (70.93 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

It's incredible how quickly Dorstenia seem to grow from seed when you're used to cacti seedlings. Yours are coming along very nicely!

Mine are about a month older than yours, and I have them out of the humidity now - just under grow lights and on the heat mat. I water them every second or third day, whenever the soil looks dry. They're crowding each other out - not sure I'll be able to keep all four seedlings in the one pot until the spring!
dorstenia.jpg
dorstenia.jpg (28.71 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
AusNick89

Post by AusNick89 »

supergodzilla wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:49 am It's incredible how quickly Dorstenia seem to grow from seed when you're used to cacti seedlings. Yours are coming along very nicely!

Mine are about a month older than yours, and I have them out of the humidity now - just under grow lights and on the heat mat. I water them every second or third day, whenever the soil looks dry. They're crowding each other out - not sure I'll be able to keep all four seedlings in the one pot until the spring!

dorstenia.jpg
Wow yours are growing fast mate! I think I may need to put mine under more light as they're just under a low watt led at the moment. What sort of light are you using?
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

I've got mine (plus a whole heap of other seedlings) under two 36W fluorescent tubes that are hung about six inches above the pots. Pretty standard Bunnings set up.