debatable lithop seed?

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
bbtellmewhy

debatable lithop seed?

Post by bbtellmewhy »

hi guys, so I ordered a couple lithop seeds from the internet and these are what i got,
personally i feel like lithop seeds are suppose to be smaller but some of my friend told me that
these seeds might be species from Arabia and Yemen, which their seeds are slightly bigger.
the last bag of lithop seeds i got (which was germinated) are wayyyyyy smaller than these and
they are barely visible. could anyone clarify this for me? im still gonna go ahead to germinate them
but i feel like it is necessary to ask on the forum , just incase these are not lithop i would still wanna know what
they are. thanks!
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 1.39.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 1.39.48 AM.png (436.33 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 1.39.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 1.39.57 AM.png (350.92 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Aiko

Re: debatable lithop seed?

Post by Aiko »

I don't think any Lithops species has a natural habitat outside of southern Africa (South Africa, Namibia, and maybe one of two other African countries with a population)

Seeds of Pleiospilos are bigger than that of Lithops. And it is not uncommon for that species to be called a living stone or maybe even a surrogate Lithops to some.

Whatever you do, never buy seeds from Ebay (unless you know a trustworthy seller) and always get your seeds from a respected seed source you can find their names here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32102&hilit=updated ... 10#p336934
bbtellmewhy

Post by bbtellmewhy »

Aiko wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am I don't think any Lithops species has a natural habitat outside of southern Africa (South Africa, Namibia, and maybe one of two other African countries with a population)

Seeds of Pleiospilos are bigger than that of Lithops. And it is not uncommon for that species to be called a living stone or maybe even a surrogate Lithops to some.

Whatever you do, never buy seeds from Ebay (unless you know a trustworthy seller) and always get your seeds from a respected seed source you can find their names here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32102&hilit=updated ... 10#p336934
ah i see, so do you think these are legit? or these are just another scam?
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

bbtellmewhy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:05 am ah i see, so do you think these are legit? or these are just another scam?
It's hard to tell from the photos. Here are some good photos of lithops seeds, yours don't seem an exact match, but they look vaguely similar in size and colour, if not shape : http://lithops.padstoel.nl/propagion%25 ... thops.html, maybe they are another mesemb?

Why not sow (say) 20 of them and see what happens? Looks like you have loads to experiment with. Germination can take as little a 2 days, so you may not have long to wait.
For most of your seeds (assuming you want hundreds of plants!?) sowing in late winter or early spring is often recommended for Lithops, to give the young plants as long as possible to grow before they go dormant at the end of autumn. It depends what they actually are of course.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

For me, planting Mesembs in September works well, growing them right through the winter with supplemental light, gives them a full year of growth before their first season of dormancy.
Spence :mrgreen: