Bud imprinting on Agave leaves

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Bud imprinting on Agave leaves

Post by WayneByerly »

A couple of days ago, while looking at things on the internet, I ran across the scientific name for Bud imprinting on Agave leaves. I thought it was so interesting that I considered writing it down, but was busy at the moment and so I didn't. Big mistake. Now I can't find it again.

Does anyone know the scientific name for what is more commonly called Bud Imprinting on Agave leaves?
The proper and scientific name for this phenomenon:
Agave-parryi-leaf(1)-640x480.jpg
Agave-parryi-leaf(1)-640x480.jpg (71.31 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
DesertSun

Re: Bud imprinting on Agave leaves

Post by DesertSun »

Hi Wayne! Maybe you had found it here http://succulent-plant.com/families/agavaceae.html But it is not right, the imprint is actually from the teeth of the leaves, not a bud at all. I also love this imprint, and like you, I have a soft spot for agave plants!
https://www.desertmuseum.org/books/nhsd_agave.php
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

It's the pattern formed by pressing against adjacent leaves (and their teeth!) when the immature leaves are tightly bound together in the bud. Hence bud imprinting.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

thanks guys, despite the lack of what I was looking for (I'm still looking myself), I truly do greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DesertSun wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am Hi Wayne! Maybe you had found it here ...
no ... the only term they used was "bud imprints" ... and I was looking for the scientific term.
DesertSun wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am ... the imprint is actually from the teeth of the leaves ...
yah ... is apparent

thanx for the reply and the links
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DesertSun wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am the imprint is actually from the teeth of the leaves, not a bud at all.
P.S.
I forgot to include this:
the imprint occurs in the center of the plant where the leaves are still wrapped closely around each other ... which is called "the bud". Hence "Bud Imprinting".
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

WayneByerly wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 pm
DesertSun wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am the imprint is actually from the teeth of the leaves, not a bud at all.
P.S.
I forgot to include this:
the imprint occurrs in the center of the plant where the leaves are still wrapped closely around each other ... which is called "the bud". Hence "Bud Imprinting".
I get it now! But quite a misleading term for the phenomenon anyways. I wonder like you, if there might another, closer to the truth term for describing it. Those are lovely imprints and your agave is stunning Wayne!
Chinese proverb
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DesertSun wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:12 am
and your agave is stunning Wayne!
I am ferociously embarrassed... that's not my agave... That's a stock photo off of the internet that I chose to use because it was easier to get to than going outside and taking a picture.

I will however go outside and take pictures of my Agaves if you are remotely interested. But I got to tell you in advance, mine is not colored nearly so interestingly as in the photo above. I actually believe that picture to be photoshopped.
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

WayneByerly wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 pm
DesertSun wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:12 am
and your agave is stunning Wayne!
I am ferociously embarrassed... that's not my agave... That's a stock photo off of the internet that I chose to use because it was easier to get to than going outside and taking a picture.

I will however go outside and take pictures of my Agaves if you are remotely interested. But I got to tell you in advance, mine is not colored nearly so interestingly as in the photo above. I actually believe that picture to be photoshopped.
Whenever you have the time, I'd love to see your agaves! Oh, no worries about it, it doesn't matter if they are more common, I myself have no more than two or three that are rarer, most are Americanas and I do love them all! I wanna see. hehe
Chinese proverb
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DesertSun wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:27 pm Whenever you have the time, I'd love to see your agaves!
OK ... you asked for it, you got it Toyota ...
(in case you're not old enough to remember that, it was an advertising slogan done to music ... sorry ... its just my perverse mind, taking trips into the past)

My greenhouse, a tiny (4ft x 8ft), cheap ($140), self built primitive (4x4's, cattle fencing, plastic sheet, tape and magnets) structure, is full. There's NO room in it for my Agave's. Not if I want to get in there and water my cacti. So I put an old broken and self-patched, rickety workstand down outside my greenhouse, to use as a table, attached a plastic "over-hang" to the outside edge of the greenhouse to keep my Agave out of the rain, and put them on it. I currently have seven Agave (and one offset from one of those Agave in that white container ... I don't know whether or not it will make it or not, but I'm trying).
1.0.jpg
1.0.jpg (127.92 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

In this picture there are two Agave. I'm not sure whether or not the smaller one on the left is the same species as the larger one on the right or if it is the same species as the one in picture "7.JPG". You can see some bud imprinting on the larger of these two.
2.0.jpg
2.0.jpg (125.58 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

These next two pix are something of a closeup of the 2.0 picture. You can see the VERY DRAMATIC bud imprinting MUCH better. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it matures and is much bigger.
2.1.jpg
2.1.jpg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

Wicked, WICKED teeth and spines. You can see the teeth, as small as it is, are already hooked, and just waiting to grab a hold of you an drag you down into some deep dark edfice where you will never again see the light of day ...
2.2.jpg
2.2.jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

It was originally my intent to put my hand in these pictures, for some scale. But with my hand being closer to the tablet, and the tablet being SO close to the Agave, it actually serves to make the plants look smaller. Bummer of a birthmark Hal (an old farside cartoon). I don't have an ID for this Agave. This Agave already has two pups/offsets/suckers/babies ... right there at my thumb. It LOOKS something like an Agave parryi, but the one I have (in the last two pictures) had DARK spines all the way through it life. So I'll have to wait until they all get older I guess.
3.0.jpg
3.0.jpg (112.68 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

A closeup reveals some of the intricacy of the bud imprint occurring in this Agave.
3.1.jpg
3.1.jpg (75.02 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

This Agave and the one in the upper right corner of "5.jpg" are in pots that I made from gourds. Not exceedingly durable, but they will last a couple of years, and will give me some time to get somewhere to buy something a little more conventional. The Agave in this gourd really is as small as it looks ... only maybe 3 inches across.
4.jpg
4.jpg (112.43 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

The perspective lent by the tablet being SO close to its subject makes this one look as though it is leaning backwards ... which is not the case. This Agave is supposed to take on a very even "round" shape as it gets larger. I have no ID for it either.
5.jpg
5.jpg (124.32 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

The Agave in "6.jpg" is a little bigger than the one in "4.jpg", and I SUSPECT that they are both Agave parryi, but am not certain due to their size. I posted a topic here on the forum asking for help in identifying these Agave, but didn't get one single suggestion.
6.jpg
6.jpg (103.18 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

Again, no ID, and they are not very big, but they already have WICKED teeth and spines!
7.jpg
7.jpg (130.34 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

These last two pictures will illustrate how bad the perspective-making-them-look-small effect is, as the Agtave parryi in these last two pictures is in a pot 16 inches wide ... doesn't look near that big does it? This is the only Agave I have that I am certain of its identity.
Agave parryi 1.jpg
Agave parryi 1.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

This last picture also illustrates how dramatic those wavy dark spines and bloodstained red teeth can look alongside of the bud imprinting! NOT a plant to keep in the same room as you are in when the lights suddenly go out!
Agave Parryi 2.jpg
Agave Parryi 2.jpg (64.73 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

I sure wish I had an ID for the other six...
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DesertSun wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:12 am But quite a misleading term for the phenomenon anyways.
I agree. As seriously as people approach the taxonomy of cacti, I would expect that a more technical term would be used for "bud imprinting". I've seen it, but I was in a hurry at the time, didn't write it down, and now I can't find it again. I'm so frustrated, I could just spit!
saboten

Post by saboten »

Maybe you remember what type of format you saw it on? I mean, was it a blog, a scholarly paper, online journal, a gardening website? I searched a bit, but haven't really found anything except the term 'cross-banding' which often appears next to bud imprinting but is a different phenomenon.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

saboten wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:47 pm Maybe you remember...
Remember? I know what that word means... It means, uh, like when... Uh, I forget.

No... If i remembered where i saw it, i would have gone back to it. Ive looked for days... I'm beginning to wonder if my mind just made the whole thing up. crap! How stinkin frustrating
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Not sure about the scientific term, but for the IDs there are some variations of agave parryi (parryi v. Huachucensis and parryi v. Couesii) that may fit.. also agave potatorum has a similar look. Those are just random suggestions but mostly I wanted to comment on how awesome the gourd pots are. I've been wanting to grow some gourd plants for a while now but it might be a little late to start them this year, oh well. Anyway good luck with the whole bud imprinting term situation.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

cosmotoad wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 am ... mostly I wanted to comment on how awesome the gourd pots are...
Thank you very much for your oh so kind expression of appreciation. They really are very easy, and very satisfying to work with. There's just something that is very appealing about making something that is so durable from a vegetable product that really appeals. They're relatively easy to work with and thatvstand that stands up better against time then you might think they would.

cosmotoad wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 am ... I've been wanting to grow some gourd plants for a while now...
Take the leap... I highly recommend it, as I think you would very much enjoy growing and using them, and if there's any bit of information that I can impart to you, please feel free to ask. There are Private Messages or I can give you my email if you're curious and/or are interested in asking me about anything I might be able to impart. Not saying I'm an expert, but I did grow some for several years, and would be perfectly willing to do whatever I could for you.

cosmotoad wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 am ... but it might be a little late to start them this year...
Yah, maybe, as they take a bit of time to mature, but take very little effort and/or care to grow.

Again, satisfying, easy to grow, and I'd be glad to help if you like. Thanks for the good wishes on my term hunt. I appreciate it very much.