Fruit of my Trichocereus grandiflorus

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Fruit of my Trichocereus grandiflorus

Post by WayneByerly »

Hello one and all... I hope this finds you all in good cheer and in good health...

First, I'll apologize for the quality of the pictures. My cacti are packed so close together at that end of the greenhouse that I could barely get my tablet in there to take any pictures.

Of all the flowers that my Trichocereus grandiflorus produced, I only got two bodies of fruit from it. At this point one of them has now split open and looks to be... what... ready to pick? Not wanting to do anything inappropriate, I twisted at it gently. And it resisted coming off. So I desisted. But I don't want to see the seed just spill out into the pot, or worse yet, onto the ground. I'd really kind of like to harvest them.

So should I go ahead and pull it off the cactus now and clean out the fruiting body or should I wrap something around it to capture the seed as it spills out, or should I wait a little longer, or some other option all together?

It's the first year that I've got any fruit from the Trichocereus, and I don't know how to handle it. Anybody got a 'I think I've got the best idea' ideas?
20180604_131150-768x1024.jpg
20180604_131150-768x1024.jpg (90.13 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
20180604_131209-1024x768.jpg
20180604_131209-1024x768.jpg (102.56 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
esp_imaging

Re: Fruit of my Trichocereus grandiflorus

Post by esp_imaging »

Just pick it. Or cut it off carefully if it resists. What's the worst that can happen?
Let us know what it tastes like!
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Fruit of my Trichocereus grandiflorus

Post by WayneByerly »

esp_imaging wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 am Let us know what it tastes like!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I wish you wooda warned me to take the spines off furst :lol:
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a