New growth

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

New growth

Post by WayneByerly »

New growth 1 of 9

I've got a number of cactus. Enough of them are displaying signs of new growth that I thought that other NOOBS here on the forum MIGHT be remotely interested. There are 46 photos in this "topic", and I'll only be putting 5 at a time in a topic.

I hope ya'll will feel free to post your opinions.
Attachments
1 01 New growth in the greenhouse.jpg
1 01 New growth in the greenhouse.jpg (112.71 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
1 02 Austrocylindropuntia subulata f. cristata.jpg
1 02 Austrocylindropuntia subulata f. cristata.jpg (62.22 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
1 03 Echinocereus hybrid offset.jpg
1 03 Echinocereus hybrid offset.jpg (125.64 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
1 04 Gymnocalycium cardenasianum.jpg
1 04 Gymnocalycium cardenasianum.jpg (65 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
1 05 Stetsonia coryne.jpg
1 05 Stetsonia coryne.jpg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sat May 26, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: New growth

Post by WayneByerly »

New Growth 2 of 9

This last picture of this series, "2 10 Gymnocalycium pflanzi var albipulpa" has a flower bud. This is the very first time that this cacti has flowered.
Attachments
2 06 Parodia magnifica.jpg
2 06 Parodia magnifica.jpg (65.98 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
2 07 Unidentified.jpg
2 07 Unidentified.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
2 08 Unidentified.jpg
2 08 Unidentified.jpg (83.99 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
2 09 Stenocereus pruinosis.jpg
2 09 Stenocereus pruinosis.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
2 10 Gymnocalycium pflanzi var albipulpa.JPG
2 10 Gymnocalycium pflanzi var albipulpa.JPG (100.87 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

New growth 3 of 9

The last two pictures of this series are the stumps of the original plants from which I took cuttings. Myrtillocactus geomereizans.
Attachments
3 11 Stetsonia coryne.jpg
3 11 Stetsonia coryne.jpg (68.24 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
3 12 Ferocactus emoryii.jpg
3 12 Ferocactus emoryii.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
3 13 Ferocactus latispinus.jpg
3 13 Ferocactus latispinus.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
3 14 Myrtillocactus geometrizans.jpg
3 14 Myrtillocactus geometrizans.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
3 15 Myrtillocactus geometrizans.jpg
3 15 Myrtillocactus geometrizans.jpg (60.15 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

New growth 4 of 9

These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago. I'm just now getting around to posting them. The third picture of this series, Euphorbia horrida, now has 4 offsets on one side and two on the other. I've been told that the cactus in this last picture, Lobivia aurea v leucomalla, is either experiencing dichotomous growth OR is cresting. I can't wait to find out.
Attachments
4 16 Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Rose Quartz’.jpg
4 16 Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Rose Quartz’.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
4 17 Polaskia chichipe.jpg
4 17 Polaskia chichipe.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
4 18 New offsets Euphorbia horrida.jpg
4 18 New offsets Euphorbia horrida.jpg (98.96 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
4 19 Ferocactus glaucescens ferobergia.jpg
4 19 Ferocactus glaucescens ferobergia.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
4 20 Lobivia aurea v leucomalla (dichotomous growth).jpg
4 20 Lobivia aurea v leucomalla (dichotomous growth).jpg (114.78 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

New growth 5 of 9

The third picture of this series (which COULD have been a little better in focus in my opinion ... sorry), a Echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus, was originally a banded red color. And slowly over the years, the spines morphed to a neutral tan color. And the cactus itself exhibited NO growth whatsoever. THIS year, the new growth at the top (the spines) are growing in red, and have at THIS date, have expanded into a swelling area all through the area of new spines. NEW GROWTH!

The fourth picture, which is not a cactus at all, is a new arm growing on my Pachypodium leali.

The last picture is the start of a series of NEW Agave's that lasts for 8 pictures.
Attachments
5 21 Gymnocalycium friedrichii.jpg
5 21 Gymnocalycium friedrichii.jpg (80.6 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
5 22 Pilosocereus pachycladus.jpg
5 22 Pilosocereus pachycladus.jpg (43.99 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
5 23 Echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus.jpg
5 23 Echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus.jpg (92.7 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
5 24 Pachypodium leali.jpg
5 24 Pachypodium leali.jpg (69.27 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
5 26 Agave 1.jpg
5 26 Agave 1.jpg (137.23 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

New growth 6 of 9
Attachments
6 27 Agave 2.jpg
6 27 Agave 2.jpg (111.38 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
6 28 Agave 3.jpg
6 28 Agave 3.jpg (90.57 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
6 29 Agave 4.jpg
6 29 Agave 4.jpg (107.48 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
6 30 Agave 5.jpg
6 30 Agave 5.jpg (96.42 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

New growth 7 of 9

The third picture of this series is a seedling that grew from the seeds that resulted from a flower of my Ferocactus latispinus. At less than a year old, the spines are already curved and hooked.
Attachments
7 32 Agave 7.jpg
7 32 Agave 7.jpg (89.02 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
7 33 Agave 8.jpg
7 33 Agave 8.jpg (81.9 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
7 34 Ferocactus latispinus seedlings.jpg
7 34 Ferocactus latispinus seedlings.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
7 35 Cleistocactus ritteri.jpg
7 35 Cleistocactus ritteri.jpg (70.41 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

New growth 8 of 9

Oops ... the last picture of this series, a Pachypodiium leali, should have gone in "New growth 5 of 9" and is the very END of the new branch. This plant is viciously spined, and I just love the "hairy" leaf edges.
Attachments
8 36 Austrocylindropuntia subulata.jpg
8 36 Austrocylindropuntia subulata.jpg (42.84 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
8 37 Echinocactus grusonii LG.jpg
8 37 Echinocactus grusonii LG.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
8 38 Echinocactus grusonii SM.jpg
8 38 Echinocactus grusonii SM.jpg (83.41 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
8 39 Astrophytum ornatum.jpg
8 39 Astrophytum ornatum.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
8 40 Pachypodium Leali.jpg
8 40 Pachypodium Leali.jpg (52.6 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

New growth 9 of 9

The second picture of this series, a Mammillaria crinita ssp wildii, has been producing flowers like this DAILY ... EVERY DAY ... since the first week of April (7 weeks). And probably longer, as it was flowering when I bought it.

The third picture ... the Echeveria lucita ... the rosette has never been so tight ... the leaves never so close together ... as they are this year. Quick growth.

The fourth picture of this series, Mammillaria hahniana seedlings, were produced from the seeds that were a result of the flowers of MY Mammillaria hahniana. They are less than a year old, and are already an inch and a quarter wide.

The last picture of this series is not a cactus or even a succulent. But as long as I was doing new growth, I thought that I would show you how my blueberry bushes are doing. Sorry for the deviance from the C&S point to this forum.
Attachments
9 41 Mammillaria baumi.jpg
9 41 Mammillaria baumi.jpg (84.34 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
9 42 Mammillaria crinita ssp wildii.jpg
9 42 Mammillaria crinita ssp wildii.jpg (76.33 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
9 43 Echeveria lucita.jpg
9 43 Echeveria lucita.jpg (72.46 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
9 44 Mammillaria hahniana seedlings.jpg
9 44 Mammillaria hahniana seedlings.jpg (94.02 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
9 46 Euphorbia horrida noorsveldtensis red.jpg
9 46 Euphorbia horrida noorsveldtensis red.jpg (62.47 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
9 47 Mammillaria karwinskiana.jpg
9 47 Mammillaria karwinskiana.jpg (67.73 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
zz Blueberries developing.jpg
zz Blueberries developing.jpg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Always pleasant to read through your posts wayne!
Seeing the last picture i remembered why i went to the nursery the other day. I went to buy some bluberries and completely forgot! ](*,) thanks for the reminder :lol:
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

So nice pictures you have here! You must have a very good camera when you can take pictures this detailed!
Your Lobivia aurea v leucomalla is doing dichotomous growth and I know what it is. But I am curious how fast the splitting happens? Does it happen like in one season or are we talking about years? Why I ask is I have the M. Karwinskiana which I heard is going to do it at some point and I'd like to know what to expect.

Your mammillaria hahniana seedlings are so precious. They are slightly smaller than my new hahniana baby so I believe mine might be about same age since they feed the cacti with some kind of steroids in nurseries. Or maybe not. It's small and young though :D

If you don't mind I'd like to post pictures of my Karwinskianas new growth and comparing picture of my stenocereus here! I was so mad a week ago since the stenocereus hasn't started growing like my other plants had. I think it heard me and started to grow :D
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Pompom wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am I was so mad a week ago since the stenocereus hasn't started growing like my other plants had. I think it heard me and started to grow :D
Why are your cacti so responsive to negative talk? I think i remember the same happened with your other cacti :lol: :lol:
How do your swear at them (mildly) in finnish?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:26 am
Pompom wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am I was so mad a week ago since the stenocereus hasn't started growing like my other plants had. I think it heard me and started to grow :D
Why are your cacti so responsive to negative talk? I think i remember the same happened with your other cacti :lol: :lol:
How do your swear at them (mildly) in finnish?
Yes, you remember right. It was my Karwinskiana which I criticized to be boring. After that it decided to put out the fruits but only to the dark side... I'm not kidding, it held the last fruit till last month when I moved them to the windowsill and turned the fruit to the dark side.
I told the stenocereus to do something, dying off was an option number one since it was something too. I asked it to even mummify. It seems to decided to start growing instead.
Finnish swear words mostly come from devil and his home, trying to use nice words here. But in the real life those swear words are not that bad, normally they are used just as expletives but not with everyone. Only with the ones you know better. Basically any word can be a swear word if you first say "OH" with certain tone. So with the stenocereus it has been "Oh you spiny little baton, what can I do with you. Would you please die off for example so I can get this pot so I can plant a livelier cactus there".

EDIT: Maybe my plants are slowly starting to have their sisu which is Finnish attitude. They grow even through the stone. I've seen many trees in the forests which look like they have grown through a large rock. Basically they might have just started to grow on top of the rock and with the time their roots have just cut the whole rock apart. So maybe my plants are experiencing something similar. More about sisu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu
saboten

Post by saboten »

I love the pictures! You're just like me--I always love getting right up close with the spines to see what's going on there. New ones especially look so fresh!

Pompom wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:33 pm EDIT: Maybe my plants are slowly starting to have their sisu which is Finnish attitude. They grow even through the stone. I've seen many trees in the forests which look like they have grown through a large rock. Basically they might have just started to grow on top of the rock and with the time their roots have just cut the whole rock apart. So maybe my plants are experiencing something similar. More about sisu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu
I always say, I learn something new here everyday! Today, it's Sisu. Thanks Pompom! :)
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Pompom wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:33 pm I've seen many trees in the forests which look like they have grown through a large rock. Basically they might have just started to grow on top of the rock and with the time their roots have just cut the whole rock apart.
When you eventually go hiking, please show us some photos of the finnish nature!