Grafting doubts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
eamnav215

Grafting doubts

Post by eamnav215 »

Hello. A week ago OI grafted a Obregonia Denegrii on to a Persekiopsis Spathulata. Yesterday I decided to unwrap it, but I've just take a look at it and the scion just shiverled, but it is still graft. Is this normal? Can I fix it? Should i just start over again? Why does this happens?

walker87

Re: Grafting doubts

Post by walker87 »

Sorry to say but the graft has failed.
When you say unwrapped what did you have covering it?
You don't need any covering for pereskiopsis grafts.
eamnav215

Post by eamnav215 »

Some very thin plastic film. I kept the graft under led lights. Yesterday it was looking healthy. Maybe it lost too much humidity too soon?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Looks like a "dry graft" where the vascular bundles have not united and at the moment it has just stuck together with dried sap, but will reject later. Not every graft takes, you will always get a certain percentage of failures however good a grafter you are.

No harm in leaving it to see if it will pick up though since you would not be able to root a scion down that small or re-graft anyway.
DevilKnight

Post by DevilKnight »

Grafts this size or smaller I leave wrapped with parafilm till the seedling itself pushes through the parafilm. This way, your seedling doesn't dry out before it has had a chance to get going.
doubt5.jpg
doubt5.jpg (78.03 KiB) Viewed 3642 times
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

eamnav215 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:13 am Some very thin plastic film. I kept the graft under led lights. Yesterday it was looking healthy. Maybe it lost too much humidity too soon?
Next time, try just placing it on top of the Pereskiopsis and use humidity to keep it from drying out. This can be accomplished by placing the grafting stock containers in 1020 nursery trays with the appropriate size lid. Mine have a humidity window at the top that I can adjust if it gets too humid or I need some air circulation. I can fill up each tray with about 36 seedling grafts and all else being equal I get better than 75% success and that's usually because of a challenging scion or my shaky hands.

Also for a period of time move the graft to a place of less light. The scion and rootstock will need a chance to rest after and should only gradually be brought back to your normal lighting. On most of mine, this is just over a week and they are reintroduced to normal lighting for a half day, then full day.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
DevilKnight

Post by DevilKnight »

eamnav215 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:13 am Some very thin plastic film. I kept the graft under led lights. Yesterday it was looking healthy. Maybe it lost too much humidity too soon?
If you were using parafilm to provide both pressure to keep your grafts in place as well as provide humidity then you don't need to remove the parafilm. The seedlings will grow through the parafilm and adjust to outside humidity as it does.

Grafting with parafilm allows one to water ones stock plants as one normally would with no changes. You also need not worry about moving into shade with a graft you have used parafilm on.

Grafting with parafilm gives me a 98.5% take rate or better on most days.

Sorry to hear your experience was not the same. Some people use cling wrap in place of parafilm. It is not the same and does not work as well. If cling wrap was used, you may wish to try parafilm instead.