Austrocylindropuntia and Paralysis

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
prier

Austrocylindropuntia and Paralysis

Post by prier »

Not so much a use but a property. One of my friends acquired some Austrocylindropuntia cuttings and was told that if spiked enough times it would lead to paralysis. Has anyone heard of this? The only time I've heard anything even remotely like this was in relation to euphrobia sap.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sounds like an "old wives tale" to me. Cactus spines are benign. It would be the same as telling a carpenter that getting lots of wood-slivers would paralize him. So don't worry, getting poked can be painful -especially when the tip breaks off under the skin and you have to deal with it for a week -but that is all part of the fun! :wink:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

And, I have seen some ginormous spines on some of those suckers that one could shove through somebody's vertebrae...but that's about the only way I know you could be paralyzed from them....
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

:lol: :lol:

If that were the case I wouldn't be typing this. I have a fair collection of opuntiods and believe me I've been stuck more than most.

Actually I'm starting to enjoy it :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

ihc6480 wrote:
Actually I'm starting to enjoy it :lol:
:laughing5:
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

I think the only way a cacti could paralyze someone is if they fell on a big strong spine which went into their spine. :P

EDIT: just saw mikayaks post, i think i repeated what he said :P, whoops.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well if an arm of a Saguaro or Cardon broke and fell on you, and you live, it might do a real number on your ability to move. :shock:
Tony

Post by Tony »

If you were to sit on this you would'nt be paralyzed but you would deffinatly be walkin with a limp! :P

Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
KanJe

Post by KanJe »

Hey sorry to bring this up but it was acually me who told Prier about this myth. Here is a pic so you can see it for your self.
I was told by the person that I got this cutting from that he has seen people poisoned before from the mother...
So I dont have anything to worry about?

stephen.prout@uk

Post by stephen.prout@uk »

hay kanje i cant get the picture and i cant be bothered to sign up an account because my minds like i sive and ill forget me u+p
seedlings make the world go round
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, I can't view the image. But again, if there is a persistant problem, you've got a piece of spine stuck under your skin. While it isn't poisonous, it could certainly get infected and that would be really bad.
firelab

Post by firelab »

go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez and type in cactus spine. there are about 20 listings in medical journals about the "spine: human interface".

infection is a real issue, particulary with any form of compromised immune system.

mjg