Wobble in top heavy plants

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Andrew Farrell

Wobble in top heavy plants

Post by Andrew Farrell »

Hi all,
I just potted up a pretty good sized baby pachycereus pringlei and I covered it with my soil mixture only up to where it was originally in soil. Because it's top heavy and grow in a slight curve it wobbles a little in the soil. Is this wobbling a problem? I'm sure it will become more stable when it grows some nice roots, but do I have to worry about the top part breaking off from the bottom or anything? This is my first time planting such a large cactus.
Attachments
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG (196.63 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
cactushobbyman

Re: Wobble in too heavy plants

Post by cactushobbyman »

I would have lowered the current soil level about 2 inches in the pot. Then fill up to the original soil level and the extra 2 inches I would back fill in with gravel. This would give weight and help hold the plant in place. You may have to have a deeper pot. I do this a lot and the gravel hasn't cause any rot with the contact of the stem that has never had soil on it.
Andrew Farrell

Re: Wobble in too heavy plants

Post by Andrew Farrell »

cactushobbyman wrote:I would have lowered the current soil level about 2 inches in the pot. Then fill up to the original soil level and the extra 2 inches I would back fill in with gravel. This would give weight and help hold the plant in place. You may have to have a deeper pot. I do this a lot and the gravel hasn't cause any rot with the contact of the stem that has never had soil on it.
I may have misspoke earlier, it's not that the base is wobbling in the soil, the top just wobbles since it's heavy. Does that change anything? The gravel does sound like a good idea.
ElieEstephane

Re: Wobble in top heavy plants

Post by ElieEstephane »

If the cactus is wobbling in itslef there might be something wrong. It should be very firm.
If it's not firm maybe a bit thirsty.
In a way, you can stake it. That's the easiest solution
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Marzhattan

Post by Marzhattan »

Hey! Saw your post on columnars on reddit! :)
Andrew Farrell

Post by Andrew Farrell »

Marzhattan wrote:Hey! Saw your post on columnars on reddit! :)
What a coincidence, nice to see the community is elsewhere as well.
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

I have several that are topheavy as well. I usually stake them with bamboo skewers.
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!