De-grafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

OK, so I just bought a grafted cactus and really want to degraft it. The problem is that I have read that this cactus, once grafted, can not be. SO is it true? The cactus is aztekium riterii. It is very large, for what I thought I would be getting, about the size of a silver dollar. The grafting stock is about 4" tall from where they previously had it or about 6" total into the ground at roots. What are my options with this one.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Joe- I'd not degraft the scion, but might (if I had the courage) try to recut the stock quite close to the scion and root it, essentially hiding it beneath the Aztekium.

I've been told that Aztekium takes 1-3 years to shrivel completely after being degrafted, and does not readily create roots. But I've never tried it myself. Perhaps this is an old husband's tale?

peterb
Zone 9
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

I have read that it is actually impossible to re-root a grafted aztekium ritteri, under any circumstances. Of course you can just just the scion with a few cms of stock still attached and root it
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

So cut the stock about 1" from the cactus.

Maybe next year when I gather the courage. I'd like to enjoy it for a while before I accidentally kill it.

But here is another question or two.

What is this grafting stock here?

How does that stock impact watering needs for the scion?
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
peterb

Post by peterb »

That stock looks like a Stenocereus to me, maybe victoriensis? I'm just guessing. The main thing about the stock is to remove branches that might form so that the real energy goes to the Aztekium.

peterb
Zone 9
Loph

Post by Loph »

stock is Harrisia jusbertii.

i would personally cut the stock right at the base of the scion (leave a cm if that to root). keep the aztekium planted with the roots stock, but dont water as you would the stock....i have had ZERO luck with aztekium degrafting, but i have not tried this method yet. good luck! and post pics, fail or success :)
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

It looks like you're getting some pups on that one. You could always start with those and if you fail, still have the main plant!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti