Lithops

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
templegatejohn

Lithops

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi everybody,

I know this is a cacti forum, but Daiv is a little concerned that people are classifying succulents as true cacti. I know he has put some info up on the site, but this may help as well.

Well if you ever see anything like these you will know they are definitely succulents. Commonly called Living Stones, the proper name is Lithops (always the plural, even for a single plant). Their body colour mimics the surrounding landscape where they are found, e.g. if they are grey they are usually found where the ground consists of mostly grey stone and soil. Brown, brown stones and soil etc. They are probably the most succulent plant you will ever see. Comprising of just two swollen leaves.

They have a unique form of development. A new body forms within the old one. This happens each year. So hey presto, you end up with a new plant every year.

These are a selection of my Lithops. The one that is completely red near the bottom of the picture is Lithops optica rubra, one of the rarer plants in cultivation and very few are found in the wild, because their coloration does little to protect them from animals etc. The plant will grow from seed, but very few of the seedlings come true, hence the rarity.

They all come from Southern Africa. They are quite hardy, 40f. is enough for them in winter, the time when the grow a new body within the old one. They do not take up a lot of room in the greenhouse, quite a large number can be kept in a small space. they also grow very well together in bowls. They seem to like one anothers company.

Finally it has been said that a Lithops can last for two and half years without water, whether this is true or not I am not too sure. What they do like is a constant air movement and all the sun you can give them. If they do not get the air movement in a greenhouse they tend to boil within the body because of their extremely high succulence.

Hope this helps some of you

John
Last edited by templegatejohn on Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ondy

Post by ondy »

Very nice pictures John. I used to have a few lithops when I first started collecting, but now I'm strictly cacti. Thanks for sharing the info though.

Andy
monrad

Post by monrad »

John,

A very timely post for me. I'm putting together a list of lithops seeds I plan to order. I have one plant I picked up a while back and am intrigued by them. Can you tell me the names of #4 row 1, and #1 and #2 in row 2?

I like the pattern & color of those 3 and might like to add them to my list.

My wife is going to shoot me!

Nice picture quality by the way. Some of the internet pictures I've been looking at are almost no good for color or pattern.

Mark
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feed back on the pictures, much appreciated.

Number 4 on row one
is Lithops aucampiae cv. rubrobrunnea. I doubt you will be able to get seed of that one.
Number 1 on row 2 is Lithops aucampiae v. koelmanii, Cole No. (C016) Number 2 is Lithops dorotheae, Cole No. (C124). You should not have any trouble obtaining those.

Good luck,

John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Wow John, you definitely have some photography skills =D>

Interesting succulents ya have there. So just how big is your rubber walled greenhouse :-k

Bill
tillie

Post by tillie »

I have more succulents than cacti because my boyfriend doesn't like me getting hurt on them... it's funny because it doesn't even bother me.
gunhat

Re: Lithops

Post by gunhat »

If you are interested in Lithops I can recommend this belgian site:

http://users.skynet.be/fhoes/rsasucculents/index.htm

They have everything, whith Cole numbers. ("Seeds for sale" in the menu.). They also have aucampiae ssp aucampiae cv 'Rubrobruneus' 10 seeds/3euro (second seedlist)

They also have nice pictures of most species ("Lithops" in the menu.)

Your pictures are very nice indeed John.

In my experience Lithops are easy from seed. They germinate well, but from there to grownup plants they can be a bit tricky. The site has growint tips.

Gunnar
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

For anyone interested I have added a few more of my Lithops to the above composite picture.

John