=^-^= Hendry Terok ( unk melo ) UK

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
Eutow_Intermedium

=^-^= Hendry Terok ( unk melo ) UK

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

I have quite a few of Hendry's melocactus seed remaining. It really needs to be distributed to UK members.

Unfortunately I have never sent seeds through the post before. I know not of the local handling situation here , wether there is an automated franking or sorting system . I am worried about seeds getting ground to dust so.

If anybody has any hints of how to sent them on, i'll be much appreciative. I may very well include other cacti seeds.

I do have some small baggies to put them in, if sending through the post in a v. small padded package is the best way to do it.

Regds & Peace

Eutow_Int*
Carl_B

Re: =^-^= Hendry Terok ( unk melo ) UK

Post by Carl_B »

I have received seeds which were pulverized by rollers at the sorting office... one of the best ways I have seen is seeds sent in old Tape/CD or DVD cases I'd go ask at a local charity shop most don't even sell tapes anymore so they just go for recycling so you might be able to get some for a small donation :)
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Padded envelopes work for small seed fine. The bigger and rounder the seed the more you have to worry, unless they're big enough that you need a box. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

They will NOT survive the journey in a zip lock bag in a normal postal envelope! They must be padded with bubble wrap as a minimum and preferably in a padded envelope. This will almost certainly take you to more than 5mm thick for the normal letter postage.

Steve
Eutow_Intermedium

darn I knew I wasnt feeling optimistic , but this has made me feel even less convinced.

I bought two padded letter/jiffy bags at the PO today , but it sounds like even that might not be enough.

The way Hendry sent his seeds to me was nothing short of genius , it looked like he had filled old empty Biro tubes with melo seeds and rammed them into a flat piece of cardboard. Bullet proof !

Or maybe they were drinking straws. But the last time I saw straws that strong and chunky was in the 1980's

When you used to get a square plastic carton of juice, and the the straw had to be tough to pierce it when you hit the top of the carton. I think that is the best way, unfortunately I don't have any of them tubes apart from the ones the seeds are in now that Hendry sent to me.

Maybe I can find some way of cutting those down a bit in size before sending them on.

I dont have any Biro's in my flat either. I just don't use them.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hey Eutow, I was just going to write you about sending them just the way that Hendry did.
I got his seeds too, his method was really good, you can barely notice there are seeds in the envelope (it took me some time to find them) and they are also very well protected.
Like you pointed, it's not easy to find such strong straws, I kept the ones from Hendry and I also found some almost as strong that come with the small juice boxes you mentioned.

You can always use a piece of styrofoam with spaces cut in the middle, where you can put the seed packages.
Attachments
IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1542.JPG (44.08 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
Bruno
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Hi Jonathan,
Didnt know that you would need the straws.......If you want I could send some :wink: :lol:
I think Brunaozinho's idea is great. Melo seeds are small so they would be fine....

Regards,
Hendry
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Hendry - Sent some Melo. matanzanus to Maja awhile back. 1st time thru - powder!
Eutow - I tend to go heavier now, but have had luck with heavy duty/Bounty paper towels, double layered & still fits in "regular" envelope. Now I just save any small "bubble" envelopes (usually seed orders) & use them again.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

I am sorry I didn't read this thread before posting my own "Mailng seed" thread - please check it out.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Eutow_Intermedium

Brunãozinho wrote:Hey Eutow, I was just going to write you about sending them just the way that Hendry did.
I got his seeds too, his method was really good, you can barely notice there are seeds in the envelope (it took me some time to find them) and they are also very well protected.
Like you pointed, it's not easy to find such strong straws, I kept the ones from Hendry and I also found some almost as strong that come with the small juice boxes you mentioned.

You can always use a piece of styrofoam with spaces cut in the middle, where you can put the seed packages.
This is a pretty good idea this . I can definitely see this working but where I am going to get some of this type of Polstyrene I can't think right now.

The only problem is , due to my Green look at everything I , don't normally go anywhere near that man made, water floating and millennia lasting stuff.

=^~^=

Hendry could send me some additional straws if he wanted to , would be much appreciated =^-^= .

But it's April now and I still haven't sent any seeds out , mainly because I haven't done it before. I know Ade The producer wanted me to send some on. But I have'nt heard from anyone else. I'm just worried about the short growing season in the uk/gb, wether by the time I have sent any of my seed on. If my recipients can get them big enough before the winter sets in.

I don't have the room for any additional lighting and heating. I know the rest of you guys and gals here probably will do.

Shame about Maja's seeds
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eutow_Intermedium

Just arrived home to find the flat above me has had yet another water leak , I suspect it's the washing machine again. Just spend 15 minutes cleaning up.

Unfortunately all the bags that I cleaned the other day to put cacti seed in have been dripped on and laying in foul black, washing powder smelling water.

I've just about had enough really , don't know if I can be arsed to send out any seeds now. Not unless I can find a safe way of sending them through the post , without them looking like the have been put through a grinder.

Hang on ! I just had an idea , yellow kinder egg doodad's .

Edit :

No scrub that . . I remember going to the Post Office the other day with Kim and one of the Cashiers putting a jiffy through a metal thing to find out if it was too thick.

](*,)

Oh I give up .
Eutow_Intermedium

Ok right

That was really quick this time ! ! =D> Wow . .

I just received another package from Hendry and not only are there Astrophytum Capricorne hyb seeds. But there are two Unknown Melo seed tubes already spare with shedloads in , as well as three tubes of Adenium Obesum x3.

Other plants are

Ariocarpus Retusus hyb
Mammilaria Elongata ( cristate ) interesting
Mamilaria Gracilis
Thelocactus Setispinus
Lophophora Diffusa hyb
Euphorbia Obesa ( limited amount ) I might FWD > these as they are fresh
Dorstenia Crispa " Not a plant i'm familiar with " Will have to look that one up.

Ah ok there's second Dorstenia Crispa at the end.

=^-^=

So it looks like i'm back on.

So if anybody in GB/UK wants

Unk Hendry Terok melocactus
Adenium Obesum
Claim 1 Dorstenia Crispa
Claim 1 tube of 7 Euphorbia Obesa seeds to go.

Also my own Melocactus Amoenus are to hand .

I will have to go through my seeds. I may have Gymnoclycium Ritterianum and Rebutia Buiningiana available

Regds

Eutow_Int*
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Hi Jpnathan,
Happy to know they arrive safely there :) ....Sorry to make you as my seed distributor :wink:

I will have to go through my seeds. I may have Gymnoclycium Ritterianum and Rebutia Buiningiana available

Im interested in your seeds if they can make it 8-[

Regards,
Hendry
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Here is the mother plant

Regards,
Hendry
Attachments
Elongata Cristate.jpg
Elongata Cristate.jpg (210.25 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Gracillis.jpg
Gracillis.jpg (132.99 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Eutow_Intermedium

Thats ok , it's going to be a struggle but i'll see what I can do.

=^_^=

=^~^=

Thats quite an interesting plant that Mammilaria Elongata cristate. Will be interesting to see if any of the little ones come out the same way.

As for the Mammilaria Gracilis. I have a smaller clumping brown topped form , and a Gracilis form with a pink flower . This looks to be the type Gracilis , I don't have this one. And as we know there is a Gracilis called snowflake or Sport.

Regds

Eutow_Int*

Jonathan