peterb's 2014

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
peterb

peterb's 2014

Post by peterb »

It's January, so it's time to start a new member thread for the year!

I moved to a new place last September and have all the plants on an enclosed back porch. The issue here in Tempe AZ is always finding the right balance of light, in order to avoid scorching and heat stress. Not always easy. The porch is on the south side of the condo, so I have had to really watch out for the incredible burning power of the sun and heat here. A few plants got wasted by the autumn sun after I moved, which I had underestimated. At my old place, these had been on the east side of the house, so it was a dramatic increase in light and temps. I'm still trying to tweak a lot of the placement of various plants on this small porch. Unfortunately, the HOA won't allow me to put window screen up around the south edge of the porch. I may still get away with using shade inside the porch, however.

I noticed a few things in bud already. Here in Tempe, the winter rest is over soon. I just did the first full watering of the season a couple days ago. There is a segment of Sonoran and Mojave plants I try to keep bone dry until later, or they will rot, but most will start growing and flowering very soon.

peterb
Attachments
Giant form of Mammillaria lasiacantha already budding out
Giant form of Mammillaria lasiacantha already budding out
003.JPG (131.24 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
Nice Echinofossulocactus crispatus, buds a little out of focus. Still playing with depth of field with the Canon and new lens
Nice Echinofossulocactus crispatus, buds a little out of focus. Still playing with depth of field with the Canon and new lens
004.JPG (109 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
Another Echinofossulocactus, extremely caespitose form of something or other.
Another Echinofossulocactus, extremely caespitose form of something or other.
005.JPG (128.77 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
E. phyllacanthus violaciflorus
E. phyllacanthus violaciflorus
007.JPG (160.58 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
something or other johnsonii on the left and Thrixanthocereus blossfeldiorum on the right. wish I had a yard to put them in the ground. I'd like to see them really take off.
something or other johnsonii on the left and Thrixanthocereus blossfeldiorum on the right. wish I had a yard to put them in the ground. I'd like to see them really take off.
006.JPG (43.17 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
strange form of Opuntia basilaris that I bought at Boyce Thimpson Arboretum. Like a cross between brachyclada and regular.
strange form of Opuntia basilaris that I bought at Boyce Thimpson Arboretum. Like a cross between brachyclada and regular.
008.JPG (89.31 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
old beat up brachyclada form for comparison
old beat up brachyclada form for comparison
009.JPG (98.92 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
7 year old Astrophytum capricorne 'crassispinoides'. Interesting plant. SLOW.
7 year old Astrophytum capricorne 'crassispinoides'. Interesting plant. SLOW.
010.JPG (80.04 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
Zone 9
kpj35

Re: peterb's 2014

Post by kpj35 »

Nice plants! I especially love the Astrophytum capricorne 'crassispinoides'.

I can't imagine having too much sun...haha...around here my fluorescent lights are shining brighter than the sun has in months :(
sabotenmen

Post by sabotenmen »

quote Nice Echinofossulocactus crispatus, buds a little out of focus. Still playing with depth of field with the Canon and new lens.quote
Yeah, it's difficult to get a good depth of field when shooting macro. Nice Capricorne indeed. A mature Capricorne , when potted in an "old looking “glazed ceramic pot , has a real ancient look to it which no other plant has. An eye catcher in any interior.
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Nice to be with you as your Collection kicks off for 2 0 1 4

I have had Echinofossulocactus myself over the years including Violaciflorus. Unfortuntely I have lost a few and also labels have faded , so I don't know which ones they are now really. Is it my imagination or do I find that Steno's or Echinofoss's prefer being in porous pots ? Maybe they like being slightly on the drier side. I also found this with my Neoporteria( Neochillenia ) paucicostata, can't believe that that plant is still with me and happy. It has the nicest and long dark spines up top and Glaucous blue body.

I recently obtained yet another Echinofoss from the usual place, it was a good size and I couldn't leave it behind. It even has several small buds on top and could very well be the first of my plants to flower this year. Unfortunately unless these plants are already named it is very hard to identify their species names. And this one unfortunately wasn't blessed with it's own identity. Just the usual Cactacae, but thats just IKEA all over . .

I do like the extra long and filament like spines on that Astro =^-^=

Very nice
peterb

Post by peterb »

re: Echinofossulocactus-- I actually find they like *more* water here in the hot southwest and a little more shade than I expected. They are incredible beat up, rugged, gnarly looking plants in habitat, but I like them a little sleeker and happier looking in cultivation. I do find them very slow from seed, generally. Yes, it is true, it can be very challenging to ID them. I decided to order a bunch of named ones and named seed from Mesa Garden for that reason. The ones that have different names really do have some rather different *looking* characteristics. Apparently, someone did a systematic revision of the genus for his PhD work but it was never published. I would love to see that.

peterb
Zone 9
peterb

Post by peterb »

First flowers of the season, Mammillaria lasiacantha. Usually these are a tad later and the first ones are from a couple Pedios.

A few other random pics.

peterb
Attachments
009.JPG
009.JPG (99.95 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (108.92 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
SB252, uncinatus from Docto Arroyo, with one tiny flower bud. The other Glandulicactus have buds too.
SB252, uncinatus from Docto Arroyo, with one tiny flower bud. The other Glandulicactus have buds too.
011.JPG (69.13 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
This brave Toumeya has now survived 7 Phoenix summers on its own roots. I keep expecting it to keel over and it isn't. Liked it better in Santa Fe though.
This brave Toumeya has now survived 7 Phoenix summers on its own roots. I keep expecting it to keel over and it isn't. Liked it better in Santa Fe though.
001.JPG (105.69 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
E. ochoterenaus rosasianus
E. ochoterenaus rosasianus
017.JPG (174.13 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
E. erectocentrus
E. erectocentrus
018.JPG (173.29 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
E. "xiphacanthus" which may just be crispatus.
E. "xiphacanthus" which may just be crispatus.
019.JPG (137.61 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Zone 9
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

What a cool Mammillaria! Going to have to put that one on The List!
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Just catching up on this thread ... your "something" johnsonii is most likely Weberbauercereus johnsonii. Eventually it will branch and flower like this one that flowered for me the first time this year. From MG 132.13 seed sown 3/1/96.
c7882_W_johnsonii.jpg
c7882_W_johnsonii.jpg (59.39 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
The odd O. basilaris may be the var ramosa called "the stacking opuntia" by Ferguson. It is most commonly seen in cultivation as the white flowered "whitneyana" or "albiflora" It is smaller like brachycladia but not as slim jointed. I have the "whitneyana" clone but don't have an image of it in bloom. I seems to really like the local grey, soft, citrus scale and is currently recovering from treatment.

Cheers ... GeneS
peterb

Post by peterb »

Thanks Gene for the hope on the Weberbauerocereus, would love to grow just one columnar to flowering size this lifetime. :-)

I don't think the basilaris is ramosa. I have one of those also, and the joints are much more chubby. I think this thing is a cultivar. GMO crops for the win! :-)

I would love a white flowered basilaris though. Time to climb Mt. Whitney!

peterb
Zone 9
peterb

Post by peterb »

Tristan, I think the lasiacantha is this one from MG: 718-lasiacantha SB233 /17/ Jarilla Mts, NM, pink sp, winter flowers

peterb
Zone 9
peterb

Post by peterb »

a few pics of some of the plants.

peterb
Attachments
Echinofossulocactus ochoterenaus
Echinofossulocactus ochoterenaus
002-001.JPG (180.25 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
this brave little Inyo County Echinocactus polycephalus seedling, slow, slow, slow here in Phoenix.
this brave little Inyo County Echinocactus polycephalus seedling, slow, slow, slow here in Phoenix.
004.JPG (115.33 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
strange Neolloydia matahualensis
strange Neolloydia matahualensis
006-001.JPG (115.18 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
old Esco leei ssp. leei, still recovering from serious scorching a couple years ago, but starting to regain its old look
old Esco leei ssp. leei, still recovering from serious scorching a couple years ago, but starting to regain its old look
007-001.JPG (143.81 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
love the spine colors on Thelo bicolor.
love the spine colors on Thelo bicolor.
002.JPG (164.54 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
flowers sneaking out on that caespitose Echinofossulocactus
flowers sneaking out on that caespitose Echinofossulocactus
003.JPG (157.72 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
nice little Acharagma roseana galleanense (spelling?) seedling.
nice little Acharagma roseana galleanense (spelling?) seedling.
004.JPG (119.48 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
ancient but pretty much bonsaied L. principis looking a little rough.
ancient but pretty much bonsaied L. principis looking a little rough.
001.JPG (153.44 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
Zone 9
peterb

Post by peterb »

some more pics.

peterb
Attachments
one of the nice things about Echinofossulocactus is how many days the flowers last. It seems to me that a lot of early bloomers have long lived flowers.
one of the nice things about Echinofossulocactus is how many days the flowers last. It seems to me that a lot of early bloomers have long lived flowers.
002.JPG (97.65 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
strange depth of field effects sometimes with the fixed lens. Echinocereus canus.
strange depth of field effects sometimes with the fixed lens. Echinocereus canus.
003.JPG (96.21 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Happy this C. pondii has lived so long here. He yearns for fog and cool Pacific breezes....
Happy this C. pondii has lived so long here. He yearns for fog and cool Pacific breezes....
004.JPG (117.64 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Echino russanthus weedinii
Echino russanthus weedinii
005.JPG (110.68 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Mammillaria viridlfora SB69
Mammillaria viridlfora SB69
001.JPG (57.12 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Esco robbinsorum with some tiny buds.
Esco robbinsorum with some tiny buds.
003.JPG (146.23 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Echinomastus unguispinus
Echinomastus unguispinus
005.JPG (153.32 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
durangensis. you can see why these have been combined.
durangensis. you can see why these have been combined.
006.JPG (180.43 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
a few Echinomastus laui. Not sure these should have been lumped.
a few Echinomastus laui. Not sure these should have been lumped.
008.JPG (152.16 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Echinocereus carmenensis on the left, perbellus on the right. Purdy. Looking forward to flowers.
Echinocereus carmenensis on the left, perbellus on the right. Purdy. Looking forward to flowers.
010.JPG (131.51 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Gymnocactus (Rapicactus? Turbinicarpus?) ysabelae. Love the flowers, even though they are small.
Gymnocactus (Rapicactus? Turbinicarpus?) ysabelae. Love the flowers, even though they are small.
011.JPG (191.01 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Cylindropuntia anteojoensis, finally sending out roots. The cutting has been just sitting there for almost two years. What a tough plant!
Cylindropuntia anteojoensis, finally sending out roots. The cutting has been just sitting there for almost two years. What a tough plant!
013.JPG (153.79 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Zone 9
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Very nice looking EFC. I've never saw one of them blooming, I hope someday my EFC will flower too.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Echinofossulo flowers are remarkable similar, across many different forms. A lumper's paradise!

some more pics.

peterb
Attachments
Austrocactus patagonicus, slow and touchy from seed. I am hoping for a flower someday.
Austrocactus patagonicus, slow and touchy from seed. I am hoping for a flower someday.
002.JPG (134.78 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
couple of Echinocactus parryi seedlings, moping along.
couple of Echinocactus parryi seedlings, moping along.
005.JPG (136.14 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Great Tamaulipas form of Hamatocactus hamatacanthus sinuatus
Great Tamaulipas form of Hamatocactus hamatacanthus sinuatus
006.JPG (155.39 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
loving that Gymnocactus ysabelae
loving that Gymnocactus ysabelae
007.JPG (158.35 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Echinofossulocactus erectocentrus, spines so heavy the flowers get trapped.
Echinofossulocactus erectocentrus, spines so heavy the flowers get trapped.
010.JPG (125.74 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
011.JPG
011.JPG (105.72 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Epithelantha greggii
Epithelantha greggii
013.JPG (93.01 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Zone 9
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Marvelous Austrocactus! I hope to be able to grow more of these...I have one left from seed from last year, but it is painfully slow.
Even if you don't get blooms, the spines alone are worth it!