Updated seed lists

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Aiko

Re: Updated seed lists

Post by Aiko »

The circle of updated seedlist really has restarted.

František Nechvíl has updated his seedlist. See: www.kaktusynechvil.cz
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Also František Šibal from the Czech Republic has updated his seed lists. The list can be inquired via email. Send me a message if you want me to send you his email address (I don't want to publish it online). The list mostly contains South American cacti.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Also Cact.cz has been updated: https://www.cact.cz/semena-seeds-prodej-a15

(I do wonder if the price for Mammillaria breviplumosa is listed correct...)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Also Jan Novak from the Czech Republic has updated his list: https://kaktusy.webzdarma.cz/en/offer-order/
Great list if you are into hardy succulents, especially when you are after Sclerocactus.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Another from the Czech Republic, the one with the hardest to remember name, Kaktusy Cacti Growers Club Hradec Králové: www.kaktusyhk.cz/index.php/katalog-semen-2023

If you are after some odd things such as Mammillaria breviplumosa, M. bertholdii and the newly discovered Neowerdermannia lichyana, this is your chance.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Aiko wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:28 pm Another from the Czech Republic, the one with the hardest to remember name, Kaktusy Cacti Growers Club Hradec Králové: www.kaktusyhk.cz/index.php/katalog-semen-2023

If you are after some odd things such as Mammillaria breviplumosa, M. bertholdii and the newly discovered Neowerdermannia lichyana, this is your chance.
I recently got a lot of seeds from them and have made another order. The ''high and mighty'' Australia now requires a Phyto certificate (after 50 years of not needing one) which often costs more than the seeds so I have them sent to a relative in Italy and he sends them to me. Nothing but another opportunity for the AUST. Gov to make money they had not thought of before.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

MikeInOz wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:54 am so I have them sent to a relative in Italy and he sends them to me. Nothing but another opportunity for the AUST. Gov to make money they had not thought of before.
I have done the same for things coming from the UK a few times after Brexit. Those four occasions it went fine (seeds and even some plants). But the Australians are a bit more into thoroughly scanning and opening incoming goods, I take it.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Some of the seeds from the Czech growers are really tickling my fancy!

I've never bought seeds from overseas sources before. Does anyone know if you need a phyto certificate to import seeds to USA/California? It's not totally clear to me from googling, since most of the info I could find relates to animals or plants, not seeds.
Last edited by zpeckler on Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

zpeckler wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:54 pm Some of the seeds from the Czech growers are really tickling my fancy!

I've never bought seeds from oversees sources before. Does anyone know if you need a phyto certificate to import seeds to USA/California? It's not totally clear to me from googling, since most of the info I could find relates to animals or plants, not seeds.
I doubt you would with the USA but if you place an order he will let you know.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

zpeckler wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:54 pm Some of the seeds from the Czech growers are really tickling my fancy!

I've never bought seeds from oversees sources before. Does anyone know if you need a phyto certificate to import seeds to USA/California? It's not totally clear to me from googling, since most of the info I could find relates to animals or plants, not seeds.
Yes, you need a phyto certificate for importing seed into the US. If you are buying small quantities (less than 50 packets per shipment and less than 50 seeds per taxon), you can apply for a free Small Lots of Seed permit: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfoc ... -lots-seed

The Swedish SuccSeed website also has a nice step-by-step guide on applying for the permit (and how it works); it's actually where I first learned of this permit: https://www.succseed.com/us-customers.html

The only caveat is that this permit cannot be used for CITES Appendix I listed species (apparently you need special permits for that). You can scroll down here to see what is listed as Appendix I within Cactaceae: https://cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php. It's things like all Ariocarpus, all Discocactus, all Turbinicarpus, practically all Pediocactus and Sclerocactus, plus some other odds and ends.

From the limited "window shopping" I've done of European seed shops, not all of them want to do the extra steps required for the Small Lots of Seed permit, and they would rather you buy a phyto certificate. I haven't applied for the permit yet because I gamble it with buying seeds from ADBLPS, which neither offers nor requires phyto certificates or other permits to sell to you. I've been buying from them for three years now without any confiscated packages. I still limit each shipment to a dozen (or two) packets of seed ($20-30), just in case. :lol:
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

MrXeric wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:27 am It's things like all Ariocarpus, all Discocactus, all Turbinicarpus, practically all Pediocactus and Sclerocactus, plus some other odds and ends.
But then again, besides maybe the Discocactus, you can order the others easily at Mesa Garden. For some of those, like the Pediocactus and Sclerocactus, I can't order.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

MrXeric wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:27 am Yes, you need a phyto certificate for importing seed into the US. If you are buying small quantities (less than 50 packets per shipment and less than 50 seeds per taxon), you can apply for a free Small Lots of Seed permit: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfoc ... -lots-seed
To be clear, if you have a USDA Small Lots of Seeds (SLOS) permit, you do NOT need a phytosanitary permit.
Also, the limit is indeed 50 packets of seed per shipment, but for each packet, the limit is 50 seeds per packet *OR* a packet weighing less than 10 grams.

So, for cacti seeds in particular, the number of seeds can be quite large in a packet.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Aiko wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:39 am
But then again, besides maybe the Discocactus, you can order the others easily at Mesa Garden. For some of those, like the Pediocactus and Sclerocactus, I can't order.
Yes, Mesa Garden has them available, but they've been increasing their prices lately. Makes one want to shop around before buying!
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Minime8484 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:54 pm
To be clear, if you have a USDA Small Lots of Seeds (SLOS) permit, you do NOT need a phytosanitary permit.
Also, the limit is indeed 50 packets of seed per shipment, but for each packet, the limit is 50 seeds per packet *OR* a packet weighing less than 10 grams.

So, for cacti seeds in particular, the number of seeds can be quite large in a packet.
Yes, I should've been more clear.

Also, I thought the limits would be applied according to whichever metric gets exceeded first? So, things like Blossfeldia seeds would get the count limit, since 10g would be many thousands of seeds. But cycad seeds would get the weight limit applied, since a packet would quickly exceed 10g before reaching 50 seeds.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:21 am Also, I thought the limits would be applied according to whichever metric gets exceeded first? So, things like Blossfeldia seeds would get the count limit, since 10g would be many thousands of seeds. But cycad seeds would get the weight limit applied, since a packet would quickly exceed 10g before reaching 50 seeds.
Nope - it's an "OR" clause for whichever is exceeded last; so, cycads would exceed the weight limit, so max of 50 seeds; Blossfeldia would exceed the count limit, so numbers could be in the thousands before reaching the weight limit. I've confirmed with the USDA and have had many shipments arrive using those interpretations. Most vendors that ship and understand the rules don't bother counting the cactus seeds, and the USDA certainly doesn't even try!