Seedling Blossfeldia - step by step (Flower)

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Christer Johansson

Seedling Blossfeldia - step by step (Flower)

Post by Christer Johansson »

Hi folks! :)

This thread may be for some month, or maybe not, that depends on how it goes. With pictures and som explanations I will try to grow Blossfeldia seedlings.

Step 1: I fill a glass jar (20 cm high and 8 cm wide) with 8 cm of soilmix made of "cacti soil", perlite and vermaculite. The soil was well soked in water. Because the jar was so high I boiled it on the stove instead of in the microwave, but I think eather way should do. I put a thermometer inside and waited until the top soil became about 85°C, then I stoped the boiling and put plastic on top. When the top soil was 25°C I opened the jar and spread the seeds. I finished with spray of cold boiled water and sealed it tight. It will not be opened earlier then after 6 month.
The jar is placed on top of the radiator so the topsoil temperature are around 23°C at daytime, but since I move the jars into the windowsil at night it slightly lower. Just above the jars I do have artificiell light that brings the light 14 hours per day.

Seeds got in the soil 2006-11-11
To be continued...

PS: Moderator, correct misspelling, please! :oops:
Last edited by Christer Johansson on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:46 am, edited 10 times in total.
parodias

Post by parodias »

I'm very curious to see the development of this sowing as I tried to sow Blossfelia myself on many occasions with absolutely no success, so I wonder where I went wrong :)
Any reason for using this tall jar ?

TIA
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
Christer Johansson

parodias wrote:Any reason for using this tall jar ?
Well, I had that jar :lol: No, I have different jars and I will try different hights as well (15 cm and same width) to see if there are some differents :) I put the money on the tall one :lol:

I'll do almost anything for knowledge :D

/Chrizz
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

This is going to be great! I wish you the best of luck on this project!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peter

Post by peter »

Hi
Good luck! I wish you ten green fingers! :wink:

Best regards
Christer Johansson

Thanks peter :)

I think I need it! The jar thing is called the "Fleischer Method", anything you know about? :D

/Chrizz
peter

Post by peter »

Yes Christer, I know the "Fleischer Method"
Very often applied here! :roll:
Edit: important is absolutly sterility
Christer Johansson

Yes peter, that's the magic - absolutly sterility :)
I will try it on Aztekium too, but blossfeldia is the prime species. I know some other species that may do well with this method. Have you tried it your self?

/Christer
peter

Post by peter »

No sorry, I had not tried, to my shame :idea:
Christer Johansson

Well, I tell you this Peter, it smells bad when you boil the soil :lol:

/Christer
parodias

Post by parodias »

I'm really curious to see how this goes on. I know that Fleischer method very well. I have a couple of friends that use it routinely to germinate and grow small seeded Parodia and as such I've tried it myself. The least I can say is that it involves quite some work to do it properly. We used those all glass WECK glasses used for fruit & vegetables conservation. We did sterilize the soil the classic way by boiling the pots in water.
I abandoned that method because I developped some other sowing drill for Parodia which involves less work but with similar results but maybe I should give it one more try for Blossfeldia ?
BTW .. according to the strict Fleischer rules your jar is not closed the way it should be :D
Christer Johansson

Yes, I know Parodias :D

I use doubble rubberbands instead of tape. :) And another thing, I think the the time of the year make some different, anyway here in Sweden. In the late summer there are alot more "germs in the air" than in the mid winter, so that also make a different (I think) :)

/Christer
Christer Johansson

Well, it's gone 2 weeks since I put the seeds in the soil, and now there are som small plants in the jar :)

Maybe it's hard to se them, but there are at leat 4 small green nobbs in the focused area of the picture. It's not easy to take a sharp picture into a jar #-o But when I do a count I find about 20 plants in there :lol:

To be continued...

/Christer
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

:hello1:

Germination success! That is faster than I would have thought. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for the next stage of development.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
parodias

Post by parodias »

Christer Johansson wrote:Well, it's gone 2 weeks since I put the seeds in the soil, and now there are som small plants in the jar :)

Maybe it's hard to se them, but there are at leat 4 small green nobbs in the focused area of the picture. It's not easy to take a sharp picture into a jar #-o But when I do a count I find about 20 plants in there :lol:

To be continued...

/Christer
Two weeks ? that seems ok .. I would have expected that they would germinate a tad faster.
Microsperm Parodias germinate starting from day 9 to day 11 after planting with massive germination in the 5-6 days after that. Mostly if they do not germinate in that period of time then it is time to start worrying :D
The first step has been taken .. now I'm curious to see how thing will go on especially because they are such slow growers .. keep us posted !! & thnx for th experiment !