Bad news for the garden center

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

Bad news for the garden center

Post by fanaticactus »

When I stopped by the garden center yesterday to buy more systemic mealybug insecticide, I had to pass on some negative news I've discovered with many of their cacti. I wondered why they look so good for a while but don't grow. Sometimes, if I let them go too long without signs of growth, they start to wither & collapse. When I unpot it to inspect the roots, give it fresh soil and perhaps a smaller or larger pot, I've discovered these last two summers that many of them have root mealies. :shock: I felt I had to tell them to protect other customers. I know you are ALL screaming at me at this point that I should ALWAYS unpot cacti as soon as I get them home to inspect them! :oops: Lesson learned! #-o I told the cashier that I was sure they received them already potted from their supplier and that the center really had no idea they were infested. We don't have many decent garden centers/greenhouses in my location; this one happens to be a fairly "ritzy" one and very popular in the area. The employee was genuinely concerned and assured me that she would tell the two people in charge of placing orders to inform their suppliers of this problem. I said good, because I'd like to go back to buying cacti from them. Frankly, I can safely say that I've bought better, healthier and longer lasting cacti at the big box stores. The big "plus" for the garden center is that they often stock some of the less common types that you don't find at the BB stores. Let's hope they literally clean up their act.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
iann

Re: Bad news for the garden center

Post by iann »

Nine out of ten garden centre cacti have mealies. I strongly suspect that the plants arrive clean but as you know, once the mealies are there it takes some effort to get rid of them. Effort that a garden centre won't put in. The cleanest garden centre cactus collection I've seen was in one that had been burnt down and rebuilt. Perhaps a little extreme, but one way to get rid of them ;)

Root mealies don't seen to spread as quickly as the above ground ones. At least not on their own. It is very easy to spread them if you mix soil from different pots when repotting. They're difficult to spot and very often you'll notice the cactus looking unhappy long before you see a root mealie. You can soak the rootball with lmost any insecticide, but they'll often come back, presumably from eggs. Systemics are generally quite effective, but rely on roots that still work effectively. You might try a quick soak and then use a systemic a few weeks later.

Go online, but still check every new plant.
--ian
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Good advice, Ian. Thanks very much. I never reuse soil. I do reuse grit and gravel because finding exactly what I need is sometimes hard to come by here. In that case, I sterilize the gravel in the oven. I recently started buying some crushed stone (probably what would be called 1/4" to 1/2" size, irregularly shaped) at a local stone company. They sold me 5 or 6 bucketsful (not really FULL ones--I couldn't have carried them!) for $10. Obviously they are more suited for the larger plants in the larger pots. That gravel just wouldn't work, as an example, for an Ortegocactus or many Turbis. Back to the subject...I remember not long ago there was a thread here about soaking a collection in a bucket of soapy water for an hour or so to fight mealies. I just don't remember the proportions of soap to water. Is there a recommended amount of soap to dissolve in, say, a gallon (what's that in metric? about 4 litres?) ?
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

I so far haven't had that problem with cactus, but I have with African Violets. So when I buy a new African Violet I take off 2 or 3 leaves and wash them in a bleach solution and throw away the plant, pot and all. I then pot up the leaves for new plants. The bleach solution I use is 1 part bleach to 15 parts water. Maybe it will work for new cactus. I'll try a test with the next one I buy.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Ron43 wrote:I so far haven't had that problem with cactus, but I have with African Violets. So when I buy a new African Violet I take off 2 or 3 leaves and wash them in a bleach solution and throw away the plant, pot and all. I then pot up the leaves for new plants. The bleach solution I use is 1 part bleach to 15 parts water. Maybe it will work for new cactus. I'll try a test with the next one I buy.
You must have an immaculate house and collection, Ron! You're really not taking any chances, right? :) I soak and wash out old pots (plastic and clay) with a bleach solution but have never tried a weak bleach soak for potted cacti. Something tells me it still might be too caustic, even in a mild dilution. If you do try it with a cactus, please be sure you buy a very cheap one! :lol:
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Unfortunately, I can relate to this all too well...

A garden center in my area that has the best selection of cacti has an issue with root mealies. Plants purchased there years ago were the source of a problem that I continue to deal with today. Stick to strong "new plant" protocols and the consistent application of the correct type (and amounts) of pesticide to minimize risk. If you do find them, clean everything as thoroughly as you can. At this point I will only buy from known growers. Hard lessons learned.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Sorry to learn that you had problems too, Bryan. Apparently this is more of a widespread condition than I was aware of. Yes, your advice is golden: inspection, isolation if necessary, proper treatment and careful followup. It's so difficult to detect when the critters are actually IN the soil. I hope everyone who reads this thread will stand warned and will be extra vigilant when it comes to keeping a healthy, pest-free collection. Mealies can turn what otherwise is a highly enjoyable hobby into a labor intensive source of loathing! :evil:
Alber khan

Post by Alber khan »

I have a problem with scale,especially in those plants whose epidermis is impossible to reach because of the spines.I have never had mealies though.
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As with antibiotics in humans, one of the problems has been the overuse of insecticides as a prophylactic measure by nurserymen and collectors that has often led to mealies which are now resistant to many insecticides, just as rats became immune to Warfarin. However it is hard to get over to many plant growers that the more insecticide you use and the prolonged use of a single insecticide without repeatedly ringing the changes with different insecticides, or even alternating between systemic and contact insecticides, the more chance of producing resistant strains of the bugs. Use insecticides only when you need to, rather than indiscriminately.

Basically the problem is the more effective the killer the greater chance of producing resistant strains. As I understand it if a reasonably effective insecticide is used a larger percentage of non resistant bugs may be left as well as resistant ones, so it is more likely that the few totally resistant bugs will mate with none resistant ones so fail to produce a totally resistant strain. If a very effective killer is used leaving only resistant bugs they will mate together producing a totally resistant strain to that chemical. Keep switching the types of chemical you use increases the chance of killing the bugs resistant to the previous chemical before they can breed a resistant strain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_resistance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://westernfarmpress.com/management/ ... resistance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://pesticidestewardship.org/resista ... tance.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use pesticides responsibly in doses and frequency they recommend on the label in order to avoid producing resistant strains or eventually your favourite insecticide may be worse than useless and everybody else will be having to deal with the resistant bugs you have produced with fewer effective chemicals left to do so. As an instance of a formally very effective natural killer producing resistance take Myxomatosis in rabbits. It wiped out the majority of the rabbit population leaving only the few remaining totally resistant ones which then interbred with each other producing a resistant strain that bounced back recolonizing their old habitats but now immune to their former killer.
Last edited by DaveW on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Great post DaveW.
"...the more insecticide you use and the prolonged use of a single insecticide without repeatedly ringing the changes with different insecticides..."
"Use pesticides responsibly in doses and frequency they recommend on the label"
Here is the mistake I made, using the same product season after season and not applying correct dosage. I just couldn't seem to eliminate them, one plant would always came up infested after time. I began to realize my mistakes and changed up the approach. Now I am using multiple products, carefully applying the correct dosage, and ensuring every single plant gets treated.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Excellent posts, DaveW and Bryan. Advice gained through experience is the best. Good rules for us all to follow! =D>