Steve's (Onzuka) pics 2013

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Onzuka

Steve's (Onzuka) pics 2013

Post by Onzuka »

Hi

I thought it was about time that I shared my greenhouse and plants with you. I'll post a few pics when I get the chance.

Here is a general view of one of my greenhouses, I have two of them.

Here are some of my Lophophoras and Astrophytums.

This is a closer view of some Lophophoras.

And a closer view of some Astrophytums. Note the split one! Not only Maja can do that!

A few of my Pereskiopsis grafts, the very white onzuka is from my own seeds and is shaping up nicely. Excuse the poor pic.

Here are three Astros that flowered yesterday. I have cross pollenated the two with the red throats and then pollenated the myrio with pollen from the other two. No myrio pollen has gone onto the red throated hybrids.

Here is a very nice onzuka, it's the mother of the grafted baby. I'll gather these seeds tonight when they have sun dried a bit.

Hope you enjoy them

Steve
Last edited by Onzuka on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
majcka

Re: Steve's (Onzuka) pics 2013

Post by majcka »

Oooo have I ever?!

ImageImageImageImageImage
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Nice arrangement, Steve...
Nice collection of Lopho and astro....is it Maiden Blush in the astro collection?
I like your small onzuka grafted on Peres, is it onzuka X onzuka

Cheers
Hendry
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

hendryterok wrote:Nice arrangement, Steve...
Nice collection of Lopho and astro....is it Maiden Blush in the astro collection?
I like your small onzuka grafted on Peres, is it onzuka X onzuka

Cheers
Hendry
Sorry, Hendry, but I've no idea what a Maiden Blush is, so maybe it is - maybe it isn't.

The pollen donor was the flowering myriostigma in my 6th pic, so no, not onzuka x onzuka. However, the babies all seem to be very strong onzukas, I have two pots full of them. I'll try and get some pics this evening and post them here.

Steve
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Sorry, Hendry, but I've no idea what a Maiden Blush is, so maybe it is - maybe it isn't.

The pollen donor was the flowering myriostigma in my 6th pic, so no, not onzuka x onzuka. However, the babies all seem to be very strong onzukas, I have two pots full of them. I'll try and get some pics this evening and post them here.

Steve[/quote]

I saw Maiden Blush at Cactus Art...I just cant open it for now dont know why :roll:

Attached is Onzuka(Male) X Miryo(Female) grafted on Thelocactus Setispinus, but no so wooly and white like yours, maybe mine younger ](*,)

Cheers
Hendry
Attachments
OnzXMiryo.JPG
OnzXMiryo.JPG (101.32 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Beautiful!
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

Wonderful collection and massive propagation. Your greenhouse must keep you busy. Thanks for sharing. Bobby Z
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Thanks for the kind comments folks.

Here is a better pic of the Onzuka graft. It's not unusual for seedling myriostigmas to have a few spines at the baby stage, they should loose them later on.

I have a few more pics for you later, but I'm getting paid for posting these and need to do a bit of work.

Steve
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Growing Astrophytums from seeds is my passion! Here are the two pots of seedlings that the grafted onzuka came from. It wasn't specially selected, just one of the whiter ones. You can see how much the Pereskiopsis has pumped up the scion.

If you click on the image, a new window will open and take you to Photobucket. Click on the magnifying glass at the bottom right of the image and a new image will open. Click on that ones magnifying glass and you will get the full size image, and it's BIG! You will then see the real details.

Steve
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

A few more randomly selected pots of seedlings for you, all Astrophytums, hybrids and cultivars.

When I put the camera into super macro mode, the lens extends a long way out. Here is what happens if you don't make enough allowance for it.

That's all for now

Steve
Mark

Post by Mark »

Wow tons of cool plants! You have a nice set up there!

Mark
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great setup!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

So I arrived home from work yesterday evening and found this one with flowers. I'd seen the buds forming and wondered however it was going to get through the spines.

Steve
Last edited by Onzuka on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice flowers and seedlings!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

This is one that you don't see a lot of, Pterocactus tuberosus I believe. It's been sadly neglected but has still had a lot of flowers. This is just about the last flower for the present time. I have since tied the plant to a stick to keep it upright, but I think it would be happier if I allowed it to hang.

This one decided to flower yet again today, it's only been a few days since I harvested seeds from it. Astrophytum myriostigma.

The Lophos continue to give flowers and seeds.

Steve