Cholla (& other CH) planting in Zone 6

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
hoteidoc

Cholla (& other CH) planting in Zone 6

Post by hoteidoc »

Hey, Gang! After "abnormal" Spring/Summers of last 2 years , i.e. very hot & dry, we're back to "average" upstate NY weather -- 70's & rain every 3 - 5 days. After people sent me a ton of Chollas cuttings, I still haven't gotten them in because I've been assuming, like repotting, soil needs to be reasonably dry with several days of dry after. Then there's the "sunburn" effect. I'm losing some of these in the what :( Also have some a small E. texensis, O. fragilis cuttings (potted), & and O. erinaceae that I'm trying to get into CH beds. What to do? ](*,)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Andy_CT

Re: Cholla (& other CH) planting in Zone 6

Post by Andy_CT »

No time for babying stuff, just do it. I plant whenever late April to July. If it can't hack it then I don't want it.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Thanks, Andy! There's the "Cut to the chaffe" black & white answer I was hoping to hear -- & rarely see on CF. :D Usually for a good reason, because it always seems to depend... Actually have had 2 dry days, sun of day off, & 3 more coming :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

hoteidoc wrote:Thanks, Andy! There's the "Cut to the chaffe" black & white answer I was hoping to hear -- & rarely see on CF. :D Usually for a good reason, because it always seems to depend... Actually have had 2 dry days, sun of day off, & 3 more coming :D
"There's no crying in cactus gardening"

You can quote me on that, might even make a good t-shirt.

I can't imagine getting better weather for planting stuff than we have right now. My only real 'rule' is not to wait too late in the season as the plant needs some time to get a nice set of roots before winter.