My Front-Yard Cactus (Utah)

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
salima

My Front-Yard Cactus (Utah)

Post by salima »

I am posting a few pics of my front yard (I am xeriscaping it ... and still a work still in progress) where I have placed a couple of cacti that grow outdoors all year round. I am in Utah, about 4,500 feet above sea level, temps get to about 105 F in summer, and can go below zero F in winter, although usually we stay in the low single digits F at night in winter. Even though I am technically in zone 5, the weather here behaves like a perfect zone 4.

I have had this particular cactus for 17 years, always outdoors, and I just transplanted it last fall in this larger pot with some new sand. It has lots and lots of blossoms. They last one day, usually, then wilt. It is beautiful!

In a year or two, I will be able to dig a large hole in the front yard, and create a permanent space for the cacti (gravel and sand) so they will not need to stay in their pots.

(BTW, can anyone identify for me this particular cactus? I would be grateful). [edited ... opuntia polyacantha?]

Thanks,

Salima
Attachments
xeriscaped front yard
xeriscaped front yard
cactus in front 009-r.jpg (216.65 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
cactus in front 002-r.jpg
cactus in front 002-r.jpg (259.44 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
cactus in front 003-r.jpg
cactus in front 003-r.jpg (228.43 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
cactus in front 006-r.jpg
cactus in front 006-r.jpg (233.31 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
cactus in front 004-r.jpg
cactus in front 004-r.jpg (187.53 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
cactus in front 007-r.jpg
cactus in front 007-r.jpg (235.2 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
Last edited by salima on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salima

Re: My Front-Yard Cactus (Utah)

Post by salima »

Am I guessing right, opuntia polyacantha?

At the bottom of the plant, and in the middle section, it has a few pads that seem in necrosis to me. Probably because the pot in was in before the transplant was too high, and some pad did not get the light nor the drainage they should have had (my fault, of course). Is it OK to just carefully cut off those pads with a sharp knife at their connecting point?

Thanks again,

Salima
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Salima, you don't say where in Utah you live but the cactus appears to be correctly identified according to current taxonomy. Is the cactus a local form?? I'm growing many Opuntia in Utah in the Kanab area. There is a little damage to one or two pads but this is cosmetic and need not be removed unless you feel it detracts from the beauty of the plant. You could just cut off the offending pad as you suggest but I would just let it go.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
salima

polyacatha pics (necrosis on parts)

Post by salima »

I bought the cactus at a farmer's market 18 years ago, it only had 3 pads back then (I am in the Provo area). It has gone through several increasingly large pots/transplants over the years. The penultimate pot (2007-2012) did not drain correctly, and was too deep, thus many bottom pads did not get the sun they needed for 4 or 5 years, until this last transplant (seen in pics) which dates fall 2012. I am enclosing pics of the damage I created by not caring right for the cactus. Some pads seem in full necrosis (I will not pull if the plant is OK to stay with them on). Some pads show large yellowish areas, I assume from previous lack of sun and incorrect drainage. Obviously the plant is doing well (it has always been very generous in producing flowers each year, over the years, no matter the pot it was in).

A question I have is of the very slim pad growing from the major body of the plant. Do they grow that way initially? Or is this also an outcome of previous bad keeping?

I am not fertilizing the cactus (never have). From the pics provided, am I OK just to let it do its thing now that it has sandy soil to grow in, plenty of sun in summer, and plenty of cold and snow to cover it up in winter?

Thank you for any suggestions, Salima
Attachments
necrosis 001r.jpg
necrosis 001r.jpg (238.12 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
necrosis 002r.jpg
necrosis 002r.jpg (211.07 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
necrosis 003r.jpg
necrosis 003r.jpg (198.16 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
necrosis 004r.jpg
necrosis 004r.jpg (225.06 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
necrosis 005r.jpg
necrosis 005r.jpg (228.29 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
necrosis 006r.jpg
necrosis 006r.jpg (223.07 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
necrosis 007r.jpg
necrosis 007r.jpg (190.33 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Pic from this morning ...
Pic from this morning ...
polyacantha 008r.jpg (261.07 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Last edited by salima on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

That's a cracker of a cactus!

Lovely flowers.

Rather reminds me of one I have called Opuntia polyacantha "Red Glory". Flower color varies in intensity.

As for the spindly growth, I reckon it was just trying to get out from under the other pads and get a bit more sunlight. Often seedlings will exhibit this growth form as they stretch for light.
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

The very slim growth appears to be a seedling from the original plant. It will develop a flattened pad on the end eventally. You can remove it and pot it up.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
CactusSquirrel

Post by CactusSquirrel »

Beautiful cactus!
"Why are you always petting the cactuses?"
"I dunno, I just like to."
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

the slim pad is a seedling alright! I love Volunteers! :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Very nice garden!
I think you might even be warmer than a zone 5, I think you could grow many nice cactus in your area. :D