Out all Winter

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
CactusFanDan

Out all Winter

Post by CactusFanDan »

I found this quite interesting and somewhat unexpected, so I thought I'd share it with you all. This Mamm. decipiens has been outside all winter this year, albeit in a semi-sheltered position. It has been sitting in wet soil for probably weeks on end. I suppose we haven't had a particularly cold winter this year, but it was a very, very wet winter. Anyway, here it is. :P
Mamm. decipiens (1).JPG
Mamm. decipiens (1).JPG (49.59 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Mamm. decipiens (2).JPG
Mamm. decipiens (2).JPG (81.98 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Tony

Re: Out all Winter

Post by Tony »

Explains why it seems bullet proof here.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

apparently I should get one of those and put it outside? lol
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

The only problems I've had with this species is with them drying out. #-o They're a lot thirstier than a number of the species I like to grow, so I'm not sure how they'd do outside in Arizona. You can always give it go, though. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Amazing -- to me -- CFD! :mrgreen: I've managed to rot 3 (1/yr) of the camptotrichia/decipiens cv. marnierlaptosellei indoors -- from 2 different sources. 1st one I attributed to newbie overH20ing & (early) higher organic soil. So 2nd I put in clay pot, organics by then were down to 25% -- & lost it after few months to rot. 3rd one organics were down to 20%, was out on glass porch & still lost it @ end of a hot Summer. But by then "radar" was up & when slightest signs of rot shown, I pulled the 6 or so offsets, stuck them in dry soil & put up in dormancy room for the Winter. So far all have survived with a couple of light H20ings & have acquired the 4th -- no H20 yet. :-k Maybe this variety is super-sensitive? Any other thoughts or experiences appreciated!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!