My seed growing thread 2013 (Updated 30th Aug' '14)

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
CactusFanDan

My seed growing thread 2013 (Updated 30th Aug' '14)

Post by CactusFanDan »

Well i've decided to go with Succseed for my seed order this year, since last year my order from Mesa Gardens (while good) took quite a long time to get to me, being across the Atlantic and what have you. :) My total order is 120 packets of just cactus seed (I somehow forgot that they sold succulent seed - probably for the better :oops: ) I've picked a nice selection of plants I like and also plants which should be a fun challenge to grow! :D

So I thought i'd give you a condensed list and pictures will follow once my seeds arrive and I get some results:
-60 (yes, 60) packets of assorted Eriosyce species and forms.
-Some of the smaller Copiapoa species (however I couldn't resist some C. megarhiza :P )
-Both Aztekium species and Geohintonia
-Cinitia
-A few Discocactus
-Strombocactus disciformis (type and ssp. esperanzae)
-Glandulicactus wrightii
-Rimacactus lauii - yeah, I know, I don't have a chance :mrgreen: but it might be worth it to try it, at least.
-Some common, but pretty Gymno's
-A form of Blossfeldia liliputana
-A handful of Ariocarpus species and forms :)
-Astrophytum caput-medusae

You could call me ambitious. You'd be totally right. :D
If anyone has any tips for any of the plants listed, feel free to chip in!
Last edited by CactusFanDan on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
majcka

Re: My seed growing list 2013

Post by majcka »

You MUST inform me about Glandulicactus wrightii progress when you sow!!!!!!! Please!!! Pretty please!!!!
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

majcka wrote:You MUST inform me about Glandulicactus wrightii progress when you sow!!!!!!! Please!!! Pretty please!!!!
I shall do. I was planning on sowing them in two batches. One batch with the seed coat partially removed, and another batch sown as they arrive. I'll keep you informed. :D
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
iann

Post by iann »

Germination of Glandulicactus is easy. No need for special treatment.

Strombocactus is renowned for not germinating and it seems to be down to seed quality. Seeds are tiny and don't seem to last long. Or maybe people are too prone to take self-pollinated fruit and that doesn't germinate well? Good seed germinates quickly and easily.
--ian
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I haven't had problems with strombocactus seed, Blossfeldia however does seem to germinate at low percentages, I don't think I've ever gotten more than 25% out of them.

Make sure to sow all the small/slow stuff in bags! I've killed almost every strombo/aztekium/blossfeldia I've ever sown outside a bag (the few survivors grew at half the speed of their bagged bretheren), and had good success with them bagged.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Maja. the Glandulic. wrightii I sowed back in October are near 100% (out of 25 seeds) & looking very healthy! Suprised me only because I haven't physically been able to check baggies since before surgery 12/11/12 -- most everything were just barely visible dots then. :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Well, after 2 busy days of sowing, i've managed to sow around 40 packets of seeds.
All of my Ariocarpus seed has been sown, many of the oddballs I chose, including Rimacactus, Strombocactus, Blossfeldia, Astrophytum caput-medusae, Glandulicactus (as requested by Maja), Echinocactus horizonthalonius, Cinitia, Turbinicarpus, Pelecyphora and Discocactus. :) Progress!
Now the hardest part, waiting for the first signs of germination. :) Also, I still have 60 different Eriosyces to sow, as well as a handful of Gymnocalyciums and some Copiapoas. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
iann

Post by iann »

Which Eriosyce do you have?
--ian
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Me and you could have a little rivalry here, I too have planted some Ariocarpus, Blossfeldia, Glandulicactus Mathssonii, Astrophytum and copiapoa, shoul be interesting to compare results! :D
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Didn't see Melo's listed -- have you gotten them yet? :-k
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

iann wrote:Which Eriosyce do you have?
The vast majority of the seeds listed under Eriosyce on the Succseed catalogue, pretty much. :) I question how up to date half of the names on the list are, though, but i'm not one to argue with Mats. Some hot picks?
E. aurata, E. esmeraldana, E. kunzei, E. napina, E. occulta, E. odieri ssp. glabrescens, E. umadeave.
If you want the full list, just ask, but I thought it might clutter things a little. :P
Daniel wrote:Me and you could have a little rivalry here, I too have planted some Ariocarpus, Blossfeldia, Glandulicactus Mathssonii, Astrophytum and copiapoa, shoul be interesting to compare results! :D
Hehe :) Hopefully we both get equally good results!
hoteidoc wrote:Didn't see Melo's listed -- have you gotten them yet? :-k
I've not taken on any more Melo's this year, but I do have some young M. conoideus growing from seed from a few months ago. My 3 year old Melo's are shaping up nicely as well. (About a year or two behind in growth due to neglect)
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Sorry, Dan, that Melo comment was @ Maja :oops:
majcka

Post by majcka »

hoteidoc wrote:Sorry, Dan, that Melo comment was @ Maja :oops:
Sorry. Not yet.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

iann

Post by iann »

That E. umadeave seed is quite old. I sowed the same collection number two years ago, but I don't know when it was collected. It will be interesting to see if that helps germination.

The names are moderately up to data, with some obvious exceptions. Luckily most of them have collection numbers so you can keep track of what they really are.
--ian
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

iann wrote:That E. umadeave seed is quite old. I sowed the same collection number two years ago, but I don't know when it was collected. It will be interesting to see if that helps germination.

The names are moderately up to data, with some obvious exceptions. Luckily most of them have collection numbers so you can keep track of what they really are.
Oooh interesting, i'll try and get the E. umadeave in soon then to see how they do. I'll keep an extra close eye on them! And yes, collection numbers will undoubtedly come in handy. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog