watering?

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
sundanz

watering?

Post by sundanz »

My cacti are in a greenhouse during the winter albeit it's still warm outside right now ( crazy weather here in Texas). The greenhouse has a steady temp of between 50 and 60 at night. My question: Do I still need to water my plants during the winter in a warm greenhouse? My plants are growing right now, at least some of them. Flowers, new and longer spines, red tipped tops, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
Joel143

Re: watering?

Post by Joel143 »

Karin,

Im in southern Louisiana and having the same crazy weather here. Today its suppose to hit 80. Nights are down in 50's and 60's. Next week alittle cooler. For mine if they are dry I will water...sparingly. Particularly the ones I see that are actually growin and blooming still. Honestly, I've never lost a cactus over the years from rot because of this. I might be wrong... but...
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Most will say let them rest during winter. Looking at your current weather it seems to be in the high 80's but like most will say, less water and be safe. I haven't watered since October. We had a short heat wave and the greenhouse temps reached 90 degrees. Now the highs are mid 70's lows mid 40's and I have a few Mammilarias flowering. :)
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Thank you! I.m usually very careful with watering and I water sparingly from the top when I notice the soil is completely dry. I guess I will continue that regimen even during winter, especially for the ones that are actively growing!

Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

What plants do you have? Most cacti, mesembs, Euphorbia, etc. are fine with no water at all. Some other types of succulents shouldn't go completely dry (e.g. Pachypodium) though they should definitely be on the dry side. Other plants are actually winter growers. Aeonium, Haworthia, Pelargonium, and many Aloes come to mind.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants