my new greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
iann

Re: my new greenhouse

Post by iann »

What are the benches stood on? They're not going to shift are they?
--ian
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

no they won't... (knocks on them...)
there are stone tiles on the floor which won't move, actually the benches are one big u-shaped bench so for them to shift, the greenhouse would also need to.
lastly the weight of my plants and substrate will keep it pinned to the ground :D

oh boy, I hope it never shifts.. :D

thanks for the kind comments people!

@cactusfandan, no, just on the walls, not on the roof.
I won't need to, I have electrical heating in place.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
iann

Post by iann »

I can tell you from experience that benches standing on the ground *will* shift. If that means taking the whole greenhouse with them then they'll do it. Wide enough feet or large foundation stones for them to stand on might do it, but I suspect over time they will still move. That's why houses have foundations :)
--ian
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Well done! Great job and a beautiful greenhouse, Arjen! :thumbup:
Are you sure that the insulation is enough for the winter? I don't know how cold your winter are and how expensive your electricity is but I would add more insulation.
At the lower parts of the greenhouse under the tables would styrofoam be the best therefor.
Very important is a insulation on the roof. There it will lose the most heat.
Anyway after the first winter you'll be more wise.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hmmm it might be time i thought about a greenhouse rather than storing my rapidly enlarging collection on a window sill....... How much did it cost? :-k
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Robb wrote:Hmmm it might be time i thought about a greenhouse rather than storing my rapidly enlarging collection on a window sill....... How much did it cost? :-k
Check the "classified" ads for people that are selling used greenhouses. I know some here have done that. I think Hob got his second greenhouse "free" for his efforts of taking it apart and moving it.

Consider also the option of building your own. I built a lot of my wooden frame using lumber that was leftover from other projects. All of my benches are that way. For those I like to use old shipping pallets. Obviously, available materials are going to be different in your area than here, but if you look through the threads in this section, you can get some tips that way.

In any case, don't forget to post your experience here. The greenhouse build threads are some of my favorites!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

first off, my apologies for responding so late to the suggestions here, I am selective in which sections of the forum I check often and until I got one of my own I almost never checked the greenhouses section.
I find it a bit hard to make a habit of that now.

ian, the benches aren't attached to the greenhouse so if they shift the greenhouse is safe, that being said, they don't have a lot of places to go...
the benches are actually one big U-shaped bench.
the greenhouse itself has foundation.

ralf, I was doubting my insulation already. I now have added insulation to the roof as well.

robb, I don't know in your currency but the greenhouse was around 700 euros. a big one costs a lot more.
I think daiv makes some good suggestions.

thank you all for your suggestions, and once again my apologies for the lack of response
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)