Good places to get Cactus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I ran across this online seller. Anyone bought from them?

http://csucculent.com

They are apparently in Ramona, CA. Wouldn't you know it, I was in Ramona yesterday!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I've been on that website before but never bought anything, if I remember correctly their shipping was high compared to other stores. Neat stuff though!
Last edited by Harriet on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Nope, I haven't heard of that outfit before. :-k
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
TimN

Post by TimN »

I'd never heard of them before, that's why I thought it odd that they proclaim themselves as "We are the largest online supplier of succulents and cacti in the world."

I read a comment somewhere where they were complaining about the shipping from these guys. I put a plant in my cart and had it calc shipping. It was in the normal range, so I'm not sure what that was about.

Lots of stuff seems pretty reasonably priced.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

It has been some time (at least 6-8 months) since I last tried to place an order with these folks. I can't remember why I did not go through with the order - could have been shipping, or maybe a minimum order requirement that was too high - but it all seems perfectly "normal" now, so I have a new place to shop!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
philrc

Post by philrc »

I just checked out their website. When I put 1 to 10 small cacti in my basket, estimated postage of $10 was shown, With number 11 estimated postage of $40 was shown.

If I were considering a purchase I would contact them,becouse $40 postage is way out of line.
DannabisAx

Post by DannabisAx »

has anyone in the U.S. ordered from succseed.com? I am curious to the results.

They have an incredible list of species seed available.
DannabisAx

Post by DannabisAx »

when I was browsing the csucculent items pages for cacti, I was seeing what seemed to be ALOT of repeated entries, like three or four times, as if the whole set repeated every 10 or so pages.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

DannabisAx wrote:has anyone in the U.S. ordered from succseed.com? I am curious to the results.
I haven't personally, but others here have and I've heard lots of positive.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OH, and the duplicates are duplicates of the species, but from a different seed source. Notice that most have a different collection number with them.
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

Re: csucculent.com- I had ordered from the website Cephalocereus nizandensis (Neodawsonia apicephalum, rare as hen's teeth) even after I pointed out to the proprietor that the associated photo was a Cleistocactus, which she attributed to a fiasco web designer issue, and that not to worry, the Ceph was legit. After 3 weeks and no order she profusely apologized and sent.....a Cleistocactus, as suspected. I told her of the error and she promised to send the correct plant but it never happened. On the plus side she sent a couple of comp mamms as a late fee with the first order and was responsive with the emails up to a point.

Re: succseed- Highly recommended. 20 seed packs are a fun little number to sow and they take paypal. The pictures make shopping fun. Recently finally had Seticereus roezlii that actually germinated after a few bad run-ins elsewhere. His seeds seem always fresh.
Cactus_523

Post by Cactus_523 »

I got some cactus from oldmancactus.com about a month ago and my ferocactus gracilis has what I think is a bruise its side on an areole on the side i dont think its rot because it's not squishy (does it have to be squishy to be rot)and it also had some mealy bugs too.
Zone 4
extremly cold in winter lol!
Mark >->(,:]>
MM

Post by MM »

Hi,
Im pretty now to collecting cacti and i have never ordered any plants but i want to. I tought of ordering from Mesa Garden but i dont know whats the minimum of plants per order and do they ship plants everywere (i live in Montenegro , Balkan) and what are the ways of paying them ( Im 15 )....
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

Information on the website for overseas customers is offered :http://www.mesagarden.com/overseas.html

You can save having to pay $60 in export certificates by shopping EU nurseries:
http://www.adariagarden.ro/index.php
http://shop.vzacnykytky.cz/en/cactuses-16/
http://www.karel-rys.cz/setlang.php?lng=en

Good Luck :D
MM

Post by MM »