Can anyone identify this cactus?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
opivy224

Can anyone identify this cactus?

Post by opivy224 »

I could not find any photos online that looked similar, and I'd just like to know what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20120823_214119.jpg
IMG_20120823_214119.jpg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
majcka

Re: Can anyone identify this cactus?

Post by majcka »

Of course you can't find any similar. Imagine it without thaf fake snowcaps and try again.

I thing some cereus it would be.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

I have grown this plant 15 yrs or more. Some with say it is Acanthocereus tetragonus but that is not the case here. There are several forms and this is not the Acanthocereus form. This is the Cereus hildmannianus 'Fairy Castle' that you have. If left grow it will look like a miniature of the much larger parent genes but most likely will never bloom like the parent gene.
opivy224

Post by opivy224 »

Are the snowcaps really fake? They appear to be part of the cactus.
Tony

Post by Tony »

They are fake unfortunatly.
here is an article with more info. http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article14.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
opivy224

Post by opivy224 »

Thanks, it definitely looks like Acanthocereus tetragonus. Also, I removed the straw flowers, 2 of them came off easily with no damage, and I am going to try to get the other bit off with tweezers. Thanks for your help, folks.
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

Yours isnot the Acanthocereus version. Many photos and ID's describe that as Acanthocereus but it is not. I used to own the Acanthocereus version but it rotted. I do have this photo that shows from left to right Cereus hildmannianus young piece, Cereus hildmannianus 'Fairy Castle', and then Acanthocereus tetragonus young growth on the end. Yours in a few year will look like the piece in the center. The Cereus hildmannianus 'Fairy Castle' Became misidentified because it looks very much like the Acanthocereus tetragonus 'Fairy Castle'. But the aged growth is very different in the 2.
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

This may help also shed some light.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3448/#b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cactuslee

Post by cactuslee »

if you look closely you should be able to see glue, (like from a glue gun) under the flower.