New plants and their water needs?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
bluerose8099

New plants and their water needs?

Post by bluerose8099 »

A few days ago I lost my P.nelii, A. schoonesii, and A. malherbii due to over-watering. They hadn't been watered more often than when the soil was dry, but I wasn't aware that they needed no more than misting in the summer. I have now bought a new P. nelii, as well as some Baby Toes and Stone Faces. Before I kill any more with water, how should I treat these? If it is by misting, how often should I do that? Thanks!
iann

Re: New plants and their water needs?

Post by iann »

Misting is a way to mimic dew which forms in habitat. Most of these small mesembs live in areas that receive little or no rain, or at least no rain for much of the year, and they survive on fog and overnight condensation. This is never a huge amount of water but when they can rely on getting it most nights then it is sufficient. Plants like Fenestraria live almost entirely on condensation, some of them possibly never experiencing rain in their entire lives. Some people go the full hog and literally mist their plants every night, hardly wetting the soil. I'm lazy and I just splash a bit of water at them every few days. Then when it is cool and they are actively growing you can water them more deeply although they will thrive on surprisingly little water when it is cool and humid.

Lithops are a bit different. Although some of them do live in the fog zones or the areas without summer rain, most of the ones that people grow experience summer or autumn rain storms. Possibly only one or two per year, but heavy drenching rain. They have extensive but transient root systems that sprout from a persistent taproot whenever there is water in the soil. These feeder roots start to grow within hours of getting wet, develop fully in days, and then die within a few weeks. Basically treat them like a cactus, but water a bit less often than you would most cacti. Leave them completely dry in winter to help the old leaves dry out.
--ian
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

Thanks again for the help! Now I see I didn't know as much as I thought about the water requirements. I thought the Lithops needed their watering in the winter like the P. nelii, but I see I was wrong. The Fenestraria has some leaves that are wrinkled, and I assumed this is from needing water. I have now had these three for a week and had not given them a drop of water until I could figure out what they needed. I asked about water requirements elsewhere and was told I picked very hard plants to grow and should start with something easier. I guess since I already have them that it's too late for that, but I am up for the challenge. (I'm also challenging myself to TRY and start some successful Echeveria Black Prince from leaf cuttings, which may be even more difficult with my luck.)
iann

Post by iann »

The treatment for Lithops, except in climates with especially hot summers and mild sunny winters, is very much like a cactus. Dry in winter, certainly dry enough to let the old leaves dry out while the new ones grow. In England that is totally dry from about October to April for adult plants. In sunnier climates or extremely dry air it may be dry for a shorter period. The water deeply every few weeks, always allowing to dry in between. n extreme heat, especially very warm nights, they may become dormant for a while but it is unlikely to be a problem and they'll hardly notice if you leave them dry for a month in summer. Definitely water in autumn, up until they've flowered. In sub-tropical and tropical climates they can become difficult with summer dormancy and more of a winter growth habit. Some of the smaller rare species come from winter rainfall of fogbelt areas but in most climates it is a mistake to treat them as winter growers. Lithops are unique amongst the xeric mesembs in being adapted to heavy summer rainfall and grow in areas whether no other mesembs are found.

Fenestraria shouldn't stay completely dry for long periods. Although it never rains where they live, they get fog and condensation almost every night. Their roots can suck up every last scrap of water but they work very slowly. Drenching them or using rich soil will just kill them. Definitely try spraying these every evening if it is hot, or a little more water if it is cool and sunny. Letting them get extremely thirsty and then trying to "save" them by adding water is a recipe for disaster. Be gentle and consistent and they will slowly suck up the water. In hot climates they may need shading in the afternoon. In habitat they disappear completely below soil level if conditions are harsh but you're unlikely to let them do that so you'll have to provide some other protection from the sun.
--ian
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

Thanks! This is definitely the most informative water advice I have had yet. Last night I misted the Fenestraria and P. nelii and am watching them to see how they do. The P. nelii looks like it is getting ready to split. The last one did a few days before I lost it.
iann

Post by iann »

Look, new life :)
nelii-160812.jpg
nelii-160812.jpg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
And on this Pleiospilos compactus (the least compact Pleiospilos!), a new flower.
compactus-160812.jpg
compactus-160812.jpg (40.16 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
--ian
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

I'm hoping to make it that far with my new one!