Saved a bit of room I guess :(

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cactihunter

Saved a bit of room I guess :(

Post by cactihunter »

Well, I don't know about the rest of the world but here in 'The Garden of England', we are experiencing some pretty unusual weather. We have had gale force winds constantly for about 4 days now and its caused a bit of grief. Not least the loss of about 800 6 month old seedlings :( #-o

I opened the kitchen window to get a bit of a breeze in and boy did I...it blew over 3 stacks of 10 sealed pots with approx 40 seedlings in each, of at least 2, if not more species. I spent most of the afternoon re-seating the ones I could save and sorting through pots and pots of tangled seedlings and soil. I could cry, honest to goodness.

Worse than that though, I lost a pot of Blossfeldia liliputiana seedlings 3 years old from seed. ](*,)

I know, I know dems da breaks huh...I will concentrate on my seed order for the end of the year :roll:
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
fanaticactus

Re: Saved a bit of room I guess :(

Post by fanaticactus »

Hi, cactihunter. I feel terrible for your losses and for the mess you had to clean up. :cry: Mother Nature is sometimes cruel and unforgiving. :evil: Your tone in writing tells me, though, that you will remain determined and dedicated to your hobby. Onward and upward! :D
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
JustSayNotoCactus

Post by JustSayNotoCactus »

The same exact thing happened to me this spring. Two years and at least 50 pots of carefully labeled conophytums flipped over in the wind and rain and into the grass in the back yard. I almost cried too, right before the rage at myself set in, knowing that it was I who was to blame for putting them where the wind could knock them over. Now I have one large box of mixed conophytims, which will look a lot more interesting this winter.
Jade plants are for sissies.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

The wind hasn't been kind to me this year also. Knock on wood and hope it was just a bump in the road.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Gosh I feel sorry for you.
When I saw the weather forecast fo Europe last night it almost felt like UK isn't even on the same continent with this place. We have over 33C (somewhere over 90F) and your forecast was about 15-20C (59-68F). :-k
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Wow sorry to hear that. Locally, we've been doing OK here. There have been floods to the north and drought to the south. So far we've been spared any terrible storms. We did get good heat-wave which we haven't had in a while. Not record-breaking, but you sure know it is summer around here!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
LazyD

Post by LazyD »

Oh my gosh!! The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. A combination of high winds and a week plant shed - everything hit the ground!! Every plant was out of their respective pots and my almost 6 month year old seedlings were buried! I could almost cry - but I tried my best not too - my parents would think I was crazy crying over plants... No worries though this experience will just make us stronger and of course give us an opportunity and a valid excuse to get new plants - cacti, succulents and a wide variety of seed!! Dont give up cactihunter!!
By Choice, Not Chance.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Ouch! The Pain! :( ](*,) Every time I handle the 1/2 dozen seedling trays, I'm reminded how precarious this growing business is, having read about dropped trays. Really sorry about those things folks & I guess nothings else you can do but salvage whatever & keep g(r)oing :roll:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!