Potting Succulents

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
bluerose8099

Potting Succulents

Post by bluerose8099 »

I am very new to succulent/cacti gardening and had a potting question. I just started a small window garden and have potted all my plants in small plastic containers. They do not have drainage holes, but I did place an inch of rocks at the bottom to allow for drainage. When researching this before potting them in these type of pots, the info I read seemed to be 50/50 on whether to use pots without holes or not. Is there a way to insure my plants thrive in these type of pots, or is it a very bad idea?

Another thing, I just started a larger pot with cuttings from various succulents. They dried for a couple of days after being removed from the original plant, then I put them in a larger (glazed on the outside with no drainage hole and rocks in the bottom) pot in Miracle Gro cactus/succulent potting mix. Is there anything special I need to do, or do I just wait and see if all the cuttings take root? I would like to know if there's anything that will help make sure they do well.
Thanks!
Attachments
Pot with cuttings.
Pot with cuttings.
100_9674.jpg (83.32 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Pots without drainage holes.
Pots without drainage holes.
100_9675.jpg (83.1 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
iann

Re: Potting Succulents

Post by iann »

They'll die. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow ... but they'll die. The 50:50 split is between people who know what they're doing and people who're just making it up as they go along :)

The cuttings you should leave dry for a while longer. Some of the leafy ones might root in that soil, but some of the more succulent ones might rot. They don't really need any water at all to start rooting, but its useful to have a little moisture to encourage the roots when they start. I'm not sure it is possibly to get Miracle Gro soil "slightly damp" though, only soggy and dusty!

What you should probably do is buy a bag of perlite and mix it into your soil when you repot everything :) Better yet, read some of the other ingredients that people use, although probably not worth your effort for small quantities..
--ian
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

I was trying to decide if I should go with clay pots with drainage holes, and I am guessing now I should! I have had a Christmas Cactus for over a year and a half now and my success with that made me decide I could actually keep succulents alive. Now I am seeing it's a bit harder than I thought! I did water everything last night, but I only used a teaspoon or so on the little ones and a few teaspoons on the big pot.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Ian is right about the potting mix. If you use the Miracle Grow stuff you need to mix it 50/50 with perlite, as that is the easiest way to go. Your plants will like clay pots with holes, or plastic pots with holes, or even ceramic pots -- if they have holes for drainage. I think you can get the drift of this message... fast draining soil in fast draining pots, let them dry between waterings, and enjoy!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

I was thinking the mix I used had perlite, but i'm probably very wrong! (Time to go read the bag closer!) :D I will have to get some to ensure they make it. I was trying to decide if I could actually put holes in the bottoms of these pots. I bought them for $1 at a Dollar Tree and thought they were just a hard plastic. I just found the same pots on an eBay listing ($6 higher), and they claimed to be terra cotta. I may give it a try. I won't be out much if I damage the pots! The large pot is ceramic, but if I think I can't add holes without breaking it I will try one of my extra pots in the garage with holes. I'll get the hang of this eventually! Thanks!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I made some comments in your other thread about pots without holes, but I'll add that I wouldn't trust any source that claims you should grow plants of (almost) any type in them. Anyone can say anything on the internet, but it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about even if it is a fancy website.

As far as the perlite thing goes. The mix you have probably DOES have perlite in it, however the amount isn't nearly enough. You want at least half the volume of the mix to be perlite. Basically just add equal parts of your Miracle Grow.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

I did check my bag and saw it had perlite, but was assuming that it probably wasn't enough. Next time I make it out of town I will be looking for some perlite. I did just remedy the issue with the no drainage on all my small pots. I thought they were hard plastic until we got the drill in them. They were a very light weight terra cotta (or so it looked) with a paint on them. We were afraid to try to put holes in the big pot since it's a ceramic (I think). It is glazed on the outside, but not on the inside or bottom.
iann

Post by iann »

Miracle Gro cactus soil has some perlite in it, but not nearly enough. The clue is on the side of the bag where it says "Cactus, Palm, and Citrus" soil. If you can grow a lemon tree in it then you can kill an Aloe in it ;)

You can drill holes in ceramic pots, but it isn't for the faint-hearted, and there's always a risk of breaking it. Better to buy a cheap plastic pot and slip it inside the pretty pot. Just make sure you don't leave your pot with holes in it standing in water inside the other one.
--ian
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Ian's suggestion is a good one, I have some plants in ceramic pots (with holes drilled in them) but I find that they do not work as well as plain old clay or plastic... they seem to keep the soil from drying out fast enough. If you do put a "pot in a pot" be sure that the interior pot does not sit in water! (Yet another reason for holes!)
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided I will repot the cuttings to a pot with drainage holes, but want to get a bag of perlite first so I can mix it with my soil. (I don't want to hurt my plants by repotting too many times.) I'm thinking with that many cuttings I should probably get a pot that's a bit bigger anyway. That is assuming that they all actually take root. I do appreciate all the help, as I am quite clueless! I have tried so many plants and killed them all, until I got to my Christmas Cactus (which showed me there was some kind of plant I could have success on).
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

There is so much information and disinformation out there it really gets confusing. Some say you don't need holes, just about an inch or more of pebbles since the rootsystem is usually shallow on cacti. Some say you can use all sorts of containers, even silver bowls ( and they for sure don't have holes!) They say as long as you put pebbles on the bottom is aok. For me, I like holes, just in case. Most of my pots have holes except maybe 2 or 3 larger ceramic ones but I will repot the plants as soon as I go to the store for Clay pots. Banging my head on the wall right now.... ](*,)
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

What some people swear by, others find to be abhorrent.

I have used rocks for drainage in small to medium sized pots without holes and have found them to be an excellent reservoir for water and mold and other smelly stuff, and managed to be a source of soggy soil rather than a place for water to drain. I have also found that eventually the soil will filter down into the rocks and the purpose is defeated, not to mention that the rocks take up space that roots could want.

That being said, I have also used rocks in very large outdoor pots (with holes in them) to purposely take up some space that I know will not be used by any roots for years to come, for drainage, and to provide ballast for otherwise top heavy pots.

I think these are excellent examples of "paying your money and taking your chances". You have to do what you think is best, and be flexible enough to change what you did if it does not promote happy plants. If what you decide to do works for the plants, then it isn't "wrong".
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

It's been several days since I drilled holes in all my small succulent pots. So far so good. (I've been a bit scared to water yet.) The only thing that isn't doing great, and was already headed downhill in the first place, is my Calico Kitten. I bought it in a small (2 inch) pot at Lowe's with all the rest of my succulents. There's only three tiny stems left, and I know they could start going at any time. I guess my over watered Tiger Jaws may not be my only casualty as I find my way through succulent gardening! I hope to get some perlite this coming weekend (and maybe another Tiger Jaws), and help further my chances at success! :P
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

Sounds like good progress. You'll have casualties as you learn; we all do. But the more you putter around, ask questions, and use trial and error…the more and faster you'll learn. Your skills will grow even faster than you realize, but we're talking months and years.
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

I do appreciate all the help! I know a few friends and family members who grow succulents (some quite well), but none were able to fully answer my questions. I knew the best place to find those answers (instead of wading through contradicting info on websites) was to come here and ask those who have done this for a long time and have learned how to succeed!