Hi: I receved three new cactis need help

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
bking29

Hi: I receved three new cactis need help

Post by bking29 »

Hi I Just receved these three new to me cactis. The person that gave them to me can not remember there names.
The first one she told me came as a start from an Indian reservation she worked at.
Attachments
plant #1
plant #1
plants 001.jpg (99.98 KiB) Viewed 893 times
plants 003.jpg (93.62 KiB) Viewed 893 times
plants 006.jpg (84.38 KiB) Viewed 893 times
plants 005.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 893 times
plants 004.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 893 times
plants 009.jpg (120.4 KiB) Viewed 893 times
It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools !!!!!!
CactusBoss

Re: Hi: I receved three new cactis need help

Post by CactusBoss »

last one Opuntia humifusa
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

The first is not a cactus but probably Agave americana. I don't know how much cold they can take but I have never seen one freeze at all here. Last one Opuntia humifusa for sure.
iann

Post by iann »

The other is a Gymnocalycium. Maybe G. damsii, have to see what the flowers are like.
--ian
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

The first could be a bunch of agave pups that look like they want more room and maybe more light. Or they could be something else entirely, I can't pinpoint it exactly but there is something un-agave-like about those plants (probably caused by their environment). They could be A. americana, but then there are a lot of other choices! I don't think of A. americana as having such curvaceous leaves...

The second is an epiphyllum of some sort, the third a gymnocalycium and the last is O. humifusa. The epi and gymno will be easier to ID when they bloom.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
bking29

Post by bking29 »

Thanks to all for the help Yes the first one was living in a house with not much light It gets a lot of sun now and will get repotted soon are the these like a yuaka when then spred from the root if so can I just cut free the pups to repot. I was told that the Indians used to brake the tips off and use the thred's in the leaf to sew with.
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

I think you mean yucca. The agave is more hardy than yucca and the agave is the plant they make tequila from. You can probably get other agave varieties also since Agave americana is super common across most all the southern U.S. in gardens. Even dwarfs and variegated.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

martenfisher wrote:I think you mean yucca. The agave is more hardy than yucca and the agave is the plant they make tequila from. You can probably get other agave varieties also since Agave americana is super common across most all the southern U.S. in gardens. Even dwarfs and variegated.
It may be somewhat hardy but I would think Ohio would be pushing it as far as winter cold goes. There are some Yucca that can handle winters there though.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
bking29

Post by bking29 »

Thanks the fingers do not always follow the brain. These will all come inside for the winter. what is the best way to seperate the agave so I can repot the pups.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Take the agave out of the pot and gently get rid of the dirt. You will see how the pups are attached by the plant version of an "umbilical cord". Clip the cords to separate the babies (somewhere in the middle is good). I would let the cut roots heal before repotting, but this step may not be as important for agave as cactus... it cuts down on the chance of rot. When you do pot them up again use a fast draining soil. Give them lots of light and a little water and watch them grow!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
bking29

Post by bking29 »

Thanks I will do that this weekend. The opuntia humifuse that I planted last week bloomed today bright yellow flowers..
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Just a sidelight on yuccas, since I see it mentioned here. Some yuccas--I don't know if it's only certain species--are planted commonly in NY in landscaping, and I've even seen them here in Vermont. In fact, I'd like to try one here; I have a perfect spot.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

fanaticactus wrote:Just a sidelight on yuccas, since I see it mentioned here. Some yuccas--I don't know if it's only certain species--are planted commonly in NY in landscaping, and I've even seen them here in Vermont. In fact, I'd like to try one here; I have a perfect spot.
It is probably Yucca filamentosa. It is native to the Southeast US as far north as Virginia. I used to see it planted in Boston when I lived there. The good thing about it besides the cold hardiness is that it is perfectly happy with wet, humid summers which the East Coast is famous for.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

It very well could be, Saxicola; as I said I don't even know the various species. Does the filamentosa have sort of thin white or buff fly-away filaments (hence the name) on the leaves, as if it's been "shredded"? I've seen those in passing at some garden centers. The one I had in NY did not have those. Instead, the edges were smooth. I need something that will withstand a spot very open to all directions at the end of my driveway. It has full, hot sun all day--but in winter the area is subject to strong frigid winds. Perhaps it should be wrapped in burlap?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Dave - I've got several filamentosa's. Mine are exposed to a LOT of wind. Older growth gets frayed.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!