LOOK at the dry and crumbly sore.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
JeffWhiteDevil

LOOK at the dry and crumbly sore.

Post by JeffWhiteDevil »

Please take a look at this nasty looking brown, dry and somewhat crumbly sore on the base of one of my smaller cacti. The sore is larger than a dime but smaller than a nickel. It’s been there for about 3 years and doesn’t appear to be getting much if any worse than when I first spotted it. The plant is growing and otherwise looks healthy.

:?: Has anyone else had a plant develop something like this, or know what it might be???? :?:

:|
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
cactus sore
cactus sore
100_0826 - Copy - Copy.JPG (66.56 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Peterthecactusguy

Re: LOOK at the dry and crumbly sore.

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

rot?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:rot?
After 3 years I shouldn't think so, although sure looks like it. Wow, this is weird -- Jeff I hope you can find out what's going on. As for me, I'm stumped. :?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Healed rot?
I've got a cristate something that started turning a dealy shade of black down the base earlier this year and lost quite a bit of flesh before it somehow magicly healed itself and resumed normal growth.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

SnowFella wrote:Healed rot?
I've got a cristate something that started turning a dealy shade of black down the base earlier this year and lost quite a bit of flesh before it somehow magicly healed itself and resumed normal growth.
If that's the case, it's a new one for me. I'd normally assume rot is a death sentence for cacti, but maybe not. (Probably haven't been around long enough to see this kind of thing before.)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I've had that with some very old cacti that my Grandpa gave to me, and I think it's either dry rot, or it's a kind of necrosis. Anyway, as long as you brush out any loose material inside the wound and keep it dry, then it doesn't spread or anything, just acts like a typical healed wound. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
JeffWhiteDevil

Post by JeffWhiteDevil »

I would like to thank everyone who replied, i appreciate it. I sure thought that cactus was a goner when I first spotted the nasty spot and just set it aside away from the other plants and basically forgot about it for a very long time. I'm sure glad the plant started growing again..probably helps that I started watering it with more than an eye dropper full! :roll:
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

it depends. Some saguaros can beat the necrosis infection that they get. It acts like a tree and cordons off the infection site, which dies.. so you will see a saguaro with an area of dead tissue. It might be something like that.. I dont know tho...
I would say if it is still growing it will be fine... might have a scar but..
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.